Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brisket Knife for Dad

Brisket Knife for Dad

My dad's two favorite hobbies are cooking barbeque (especially brisket) and owning good knives. Darren's recent thread about the trout knife he made for his dad gave me the idea of making my dad a knife for his birthday (next month).

I found a cryogenically treated 440C stainless blade blank at Texas Knifemaker's Supply (www.texasknife.com) that looked like it'd make a nice brisket knife. I used some of Barry Richardson's desert ironwood for the handles. Throw in a few stainless steel pins, some epoxy, and a few hours of rasp and sandpaper work, and here's the end result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desert Ironwood Benny-Q Knife 1 - 800.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	18364

I sculpted the handle to fit the hand a bit better. It doesn't show real well in the pics, but this will give you an idea of what I did. It feels real nice to me, and since his hands are about the size of mine, I think he'll like it too.

Name:	Desert Ironwood Benny-Q Knife 3 - 800.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	18367

And another view...

Name:	Desert Ironwood Benny-Q Knife 2 - 800.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	18365

I used no finish on this. I just sanded to 400 grit and went straight to the 3-wheel buffing routine -- tripoli, white diamond, and carnauba wax. The ironwood polishes up like cocobolo, so a membrane finish seemed unnecessary. I didn't do any sharpening. My dad's much better at it than I am, and he'll enjoy the project of getting this one tuned the way he likes it.

My dad has a number of nice carving knives, including one or two I've bought for him, but I can guarantee this is the only knife in his collection quite like this one. I'm pretty sure the fact that I made it will make it that much more special to him.

And I'm liking this knife-making stuff. I've already ordered a few more assorted knife blade blanks...I think I'll see how they sell at the next show I do.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn that looks fantastic. I'm sure he will love it. I've been thinking about doing some sort of knife just for the heck of it. You've made that knife look so good I might just give it a try. What did you use for the pins? Looks like stainless in the pics or is it brass?

Thanks for the compliments, Jack. The pins are 3/32" diameter stainless. I bought a foot each of brass and stainless (about a dollar each), but I thought the silver matched the blade better. I've ordered some fancier pin material for the next ones. They've got some cool mosaic pin material at the site I mentioned above.

If you've been toying with the idea of making one, I'd say go for it. The materials are pretty inexpensive, and they are pretty quick little projects. I spent about an hour last night cutting and drilling the handle scales and gluing them on, then probably about 3 hours tonight shaping the handle with a rasp and on a little 4" x 36" belt sander and a couple sanding drums on my drill press. There was also a fair amount of hand sanding to get the contours smoothed out.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thumbs up

That knife looks great. A very good birthday gift, I am sure he will treasure.
    Good job Vaughn

Beautiful knife. I thought 'cocobolo' when I first looked at it. That DI is pretty. Nice work.

A handsome knife Vaughn. The shaping on the handle looks like it will fit the hand nicely. I'm sure your dad will love it.

Bob Wiggins is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    That's a great looking knife and I believe I'm seeing something in the handle design you won't see often in purchased knives. I call it finger relief radius for lack of a better term.

I like it, Vaughn. Does it feel as good in the hand as it looks like it does?
    Billy B.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wiggins View Post
    That's a great looking knife and I believe I'm seeing something in the handle design you won't see often in purchased knives. I call it finger relief radius for lack of a better term.
    More importantly, it will help prevent the hand from slipping forward when wet. Function in beauty or beauty in function.

Very nice Vaughn, I may have to order one of those blades myself. I'm wanting to do a matching set for the kitchen, will have to see what other blades they have.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault