building interior passage doors

Chris Mire

the wife and I will be building our own home soon. and it seems i cannot find the type of interior door that we want. it is a basic shaker either 1 or 2 panel door. so there are no frills, no routes, no raised panel, just flat panel.

i have flirted with the idea of trying to build them myself but not sure if i am taking on more than i can handle.

i am pretty good with wood, have built many a cabinet door although I know that passage doors are a totally different animal.

what type of joinery is common in passage doors?

what type of panel could I use for a paint grade door?

could i use poplar for the frames?

any help would be appreciated

thanks
chris

chris,
stu has a tutorial i did about my method of building doors on his site...hopefully he`ll post a link to save me re-typing? if not i`ll peck out another....

I am in the process of building the same style of doors for my house that you are thinking of. I am going with four panels.
Here is a page on my site showing some of the construction photos during different stages. Hope it helps to make up your mind.
http://www.superwoodworks.com/Projects/PanelDoors.htm

AshDoor1.JPG

UpBath1.JPG

Chris, try here. I bought my doors from Homestead. They were EASY to deal with. Truck dropped them off in the driveway.

Homestead hardwoods

This is a direct link to the Doors page.

I think they have what your looking for. Scroll down and look for the Traditional 2 panel doors. I used the 3 panel though out the our house. Well pleased with their quality and service.

Garry that door is awesome!!!!!! I can't imagine the price of that door if I were to buy one. You did well!!!!!!

Thanks Jonathan,
That is the reason I am building all of my interior Doors.
When one custom builds the doors, the parts can be hand picked for figure and grain. This will not happen in production run products. I am costructing the second floor doors and trim with ash as shown here. The main floor doors and stair case are constructed with Curly Yellow Birch(some call it Flame Birch) which cannot be purchased from any production source that I could find.

thanks everyone for the replies.

garry that door is beautiful. thanks for showing the process.

jeff, thanks for that link. i need to call and see if they have what i need in 8'0" tall doors. price seems at the top of my budget though

tod, i just want to make sure i understand correctly, so the all thread goes all the way through the door from one side to the other?

thanks again everyone. still contemplating..:dunno:

chris

tod, i just want to make sure i understand correctly, so the all thread goes all the way through the door from one side to the other

yup......plug the holes with dowel and on the off chance that the joints ever fail, unlike through mortise doors, all you need to do is drill out the dowel and tighten the nut. makes for a pretty stout door.