Thread: New to Me Leigh FMT

New to Me Leigh FMT

Just finished purchasing this FMT from fellow member Ed Gerhard. He accepted my offer, took the trouble of packing it up real nice n safe and sent it on its way to Japan.

Leigh Frame Mortice and Tenon Jig

Many thanks Ed.

Congrats, Alex!

For those not familiar with the FMT (like me...) here is a site that explains it.

http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/Lei...FMTReview.html

Cool!

Congrats, Alex. That's some serious jigness going on there.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Tired of that Joint Genie already?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Tired of that Joint Genie already?
    Don't knock it buddy, that Joint Genie is a keeper. . Seriously though the Joint Genie is for dowelling and I don't really use dowels on main furniture joints. I like the convenience of the JG for quick stuff or alignment but for a table, chair, bookshelf, etc, I will most often use more robust joinery like M&T, dovetails or fingerjoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Reid View Post
    Don't knock it buddy, that Joint Genie is a keeper. . Seriously though the Joint Genie is for dowelling and I don't really use dowels on main furniture joints. I like the convenience of the JG for quick stuff or alignment but for a table, chair, bookshelf, etc, I will most often use more robust joinery like M&T, dovetails or fingerjoints.
    Oh I know, Alex, just yanking your chain. I've got a Dowelmax on order, myself, and I expect to have lots of fun getting to use it. And I agree that different joints work in different situations.

But careful... saying something like "more robust" can be fightin words for some folks when it comes to joint descriptions. I've seen various magazine articles or other articles (like this one on another forum) where folks try to scientifically test joints. Sometimes it's about trying to find out how good biscuit joints are, or sometimes it's about how good the domino is, or sometimes it's about how good dowels are. Heck, sometimes it's even without any prior expectations! (if you can believe that.) Personally, I don't go around saying any one is "better" or "stronger" any more. I just say that one is "good enough", or "I feel like using this one".

I was surprised to hear claimed the other day that dowels used to be used a lot in furniture construction back 100+ years ago.

But I rather digress. I've heard great things about the FMT, but haven't ever tried one myself. Let us know how complicated it is to set up and use. How do you find it for just cutting 4 joints, for instance, versus doing 10 or more?

best,
    ...art