View Poll Results: Any opinions or experiences to share?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marvin

2 5.88%
  • Pella

10 29.41%
  • Anderson

14 41.18%
  • Other

8 23.53%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Window Poll

Replacement Window Poll

Finally going to replace the old double-hung windows in our house. I would like a clad exterior and wood interior. Let me know what manufacturers you have had good luck with and any opinions or experiences you have to share?

Cheers,
    Nick
    Last edited by Nick Clayton; 03-06-2008 at 03:30 PM.

My house had been upgraded to Pella windows before I bought it and if I need to upgrade windows on my next house, they will be Pella.
    Billy B.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

I can't wait for MJ to weigh in on this one!

Thanks,

Bill

Your poll didn't allow multiple choices. I've used Anderson, Marvin, and Pella - all with good results.

I do have one Pella pane in my house that has lost its vacuum/gas between the glasses. It fogs up a bit when it's really cold out. I haven't looked into replacement of it yet, though.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

i agree with jim........my house has pellas.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Nick, whatever you decide to do about your windows, make sure you shop around!! All of the window salespeople from these big companies make their money on how much they can mark up the price of the windows and installation.

We had nine windows in our house in Virginia that needed replacing. We got quotes from Pella, Anderson, and a couple of others, ranging from $7K to $13K. Out of frustration, we went to a home show where we found a local fellow who represented Pozzi. He was willing to measure all of the windows and keep the measurements in his files, and let us buy one or two at a time, installed each one for $100.00 each. Our 9 windows ended up costing about $2800! The salespeople will quote what they think they can get and if that's too high, they'll reduce the price until you bite.

Another thing: in Mass, you might think about doing extruded vinyl windows rather than clad and wood. They come in a range of colors and NEVER NEED PAINTING. They won't warp, they won't stick, and I know that the windows we put in the Virginia house are still new-looking after about 20 years. If you have a 2-story house, make sure you get the ones that will tip in for cleaning the exterior.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Nick, I deleted the other thread you opened.
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    He was willing to measure all of the windows and keep the measurements in his files, and let us buy one or two at a time, installed each one for $100.00 each. Our 9 windows ended up costing about $2800! The salespeople will quote what they think they can get and if that's too high, they'll reduce the price until you bite.
    Nancy
    Nick this is what my parents did too. My dad installed them all himself to save evan more. If your replacing some in an attic or basement, seconds and blems might be an option as well. As to which brand....pella and anderson are both made in Iowa so I have a bias for them, but they are also the two most used by builders/remolders here in the area.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Pella and Anderson make top notch windows. The best in my book. I have had Anderson and loved then. Never had Pella but mainly because of price. Not that Anderson is cheap either!

I would use which ever was cheaper and had the style/size I want. You wouldn't be disappointed.

No experience with Marvin. Never even seen any I don't think. So I can't say anything about them.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

The bulk of my experience with windows is at Pellow's Camp where I have built 3 buildings over the span of 33 years. I buy my windows from a local small business in Hearst Ontario named 'Vitrerie de Hearst Glass'. The windows are great, but I don't expect anyone to make the treck to get them.

But, you should check out any local firms in your area.
    Cheers, Frank