Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Kayak Build * WREN has left the shop! (for the water)

Kayak Build * WREN has left the shop! (for the water)

The plywood arrived today! Several days faster than expected!

The project is about to begin!!

Last edited by Jeff Horton; 06-22-2008 at 01:20 AM.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

... lookin' forward to seeing it take shape. Never built a boat/kayak, or anything that big, unless you count my 2 story garage. I will bet my garage was a lot easier to build than will be.
    Build it Break it Fix it ...repeat

This will be an exciting project to watch.

Way cool! Keep us posted on your progress.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Well lets start this show..... with idiots!! I ordered several sheets of ply. Because of the cost of shipping I ordered extra. Didn't cost anymore for shipping and I am sure I will build another boat after these two. So I will just store it and save shipping costs latter on.

So, the package is sort of heavy and the ply is very thin so it also VERY flexible and hard to handle. I back my truck up to the delivery truck and we slide the package in mine. When I unloaded it and saw the OTHER side of the package. Look at what I found.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ply_package.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	18374

:soapbox:
    Notice the FRAGILE sticker?? There are two on the box. Yes, those appear to be forklift tracks! No wonder companies are sending so much overseas. They probably can't find workers that give a dang. Where is the pride in your work? No damage but this is just inexcusable.

No, I am not mad since there was nothing damaged. I am just disappointed in our constantly lowering standards for everything. Todays normal would have gotten you fired 15 years ago. Sad, sad state of affairs.
    END OF RANT

Hi Jeff "El Ranter" ,
    I have a theory that will allow you to "choose" getting through this a wee bit easier if you decide to accept, just this possibility.

"I saw them run over the cardboard/1/8" ply there in the warehouse before someone else picked it up. With tread marks on it they just decided to use it as the cover sheet on your order, however the two guys involved were both fired because they left the tread marked side up and stamped fragile over the marks, the idiots!" A quote from Louie the rat, up for promotion.
    Does that help?
    Happy to see you have material for the kayak. Thanks for letting us in on the build from the get go.
    Shaz
    Last edited by Robert Schaubhut; 03-07-2008 at 12:48 AM.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

On the bright side Jeff, the forklift driver apparently noticed his mistake and backed up so he wasn't parked on the plywood.

Looking forward to seeing this project come together.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Jeff...

I'll be watching your project reports. Looks like a good opportunity to learn some stuff.

My youngest brother used to be a mfg exec, and he once told me about a meeting he had attended with some Asian guys that he was considering doing business with. At one point in the meeting my brother said something about needing a program in place to ensure quality...his Asian counterpart said "quality no problem...worker mess up, chop off hand". Bro said he seemed serious when he said this. Would it happen?...don't know. But if you even tried to fire that forklift driver, let alone chop off his hand, you'd right away have a lawyer knocking on the door ready to sue you for something on his behalf. Apologies to our lawyer members. I sometimes wonder what happened to pride in doing a good job and the willingness to say "yeah I did that, guess I messed up".

Anyway, good luck with the boats. Looking forward to the next installment.

Cheers

Oh I can believe they would chop off the guys hand. Have you guys ever watched this video? Its of a stamping plant in China. There is NO WAY OSHA would allow this. NO WAY!!

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...vid=1286274659
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Well last minute suggestion from an internet friend in Finland. Very knowledgeable in kayaks and the software I am using. He asked a couple of good questions and it all ended up with a last minute change in the bow of the boat. Notice it is curved now instead of the point that was there. This also results in a much finer entry with more of a hollow in the lines. The chines actually start further back of the bow now too.

I also lowered the sheer line so that is closer to water. I kept the deck height the same. The deck will just be more rounded because I want to maintain the storage inside for camping. I kept looking at the 3D view and decided it looked better lower. Might mean a little more water on the deck but no biggie.

I picked up the wood for building stands before lunch. Going to start on them. Epoxy should be here tomorrow. Hopefully start cutting wood this weekend.

Also have settled on the deck design.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deck.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	18625

What I haven't settled on is the woods I am going to use. I show a white/light wood and the Western Red Cedar. I drew another with woods that are close in color and I think I like it better. So I will probably cut a few test pieces, try varnishing them and see how they look together. If you BLO the WRC is really darkens it up. If I could find something that contrasted it well but was still subtle, I prefer that. Walnut looks good with it, but it's heavy. Of course I am only using a few strips too.