Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal Cutting Blade

Arrow Metal Cutting Blade

In the the "Beer Shelves" episode of Stu's Dungeon there's a clear shot of the drop saw ready to cut a piece of steel.

What on earth is that blade?

I've seen that style of diamond blade for ceramic cutting but all the steel cutting blades around here (Oz) are 90T conventional style etc.

Just curious!

Cheers, Antony.
    Last edited by Antony N. Lord; 03-06-2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Poor spelling in the thread title

No idea what the blade is, but nice welding job.

That looks like a carbide tipped metal cut off blade to me. Hard to tell in the pic but it looks like it has teeth. Those things cut supper but they don't last long for the money. The diamond ones cut almost as good and seem to last forever.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 03-07-2008 at 02:40 AM.

It is a kind of carbide, actually, I think it is called C-6 or something, but this stuff is designed for cutting steel as well as the tooth design being for steel.

They do seem to last and last, on cutting pipe etc, and for about $15 I can get it sharpened. It was a fair bit expensive to buy, I think is was around $300... I could be wrong about that, but for cutting up a bunch of stuff, man is it slick. The steel is NOT hot when you are done, there is no vast clouds of billowing smoke, almost no sparks, much nicer to work with. Yes it is loud, but I would be wearing hearing protection with the abrasive blade too.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

The morse metal devil

And really not that expensive
    http://bandsawblade.com/Order/SC/index.html

Don't let the bandsaw in the link fool you, it's for circular saw blades

Of course being a machine shop, we have plenty of metal cutting tools, but our Scotchman Cold Cut Saw has about the same saw configuration as Stu's saw. I was just telling a co-worker that if I could have just one or two machines in that shop at home, the metal cutting Scotchman would be one of them (The Bridgeport and Lathe would be the others...well maybe the ironworker too...and the shear....and brake...but I digress... )

The blades will break and its a costly break at 300 bucks a blade, but the thing saws through stainless steel everyday, and its used hard. I once did some cutting on it and checked how far out the saw cut was. Out of 20 pieces, the most varied piece I had was .015 too long. Most were within .010. A quick facing on the lathe and I was good to go.

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    It is a kind of carbide, actually, I think it is called C-6 or something, but this stuff is designed for cutting steel as well as the tooth design being for steel.

They do seem to last and last, on cutting pipe etc, and for about $15 I can get it sharpened. It was a fair bit expensive to buy, I think is was around $300... I could be wrong about that, but for cutting up a bunch of stuff, man is it slick. The steel is NOT hot when you are done, there is no vast clouds of billowing smoke, almost no sparks, much nicer to work with. Yes it is loud, but I would be wearing hearing protection with the abrasive blade too.

Cheers!
    Stu, what RPM can you run that blade at? The only ones I've seen like that have to be run at a much slower RPM than our regular cut off saws and have to be run on special slow turning cutoff saws.

They sell two types here, a high speed one and a slow speed one. The cut off saw I have is a normal high speed one, so I bought the high speed blade, I think it was about $20 more than the low speed blade
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    They sell two types here, a high speed one and a slow speed one. The cut off saw I have is a normal high speed one, so I bought the high speed blade, I think it was about $20 more than the low speed blade
    Thanks for the info. It's been a while since I looked at them here, so maybe we can get the high speed blades here too now. Guess I'll have to check around before my next metal project. When I first saw one here, IIRC, it was a 14" Hitachi Saw and blade, and I think it's RPM was around 1200, and price was about $700.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mickley View Post
    The morse metal devil

And really not that expensive
    http://bandsawblade.com/Order/SC/index.html

Don't let the bandsaw in the link fool you, it's for circular saw blades
    I went to that site, but they sure don't give any information about any of those blades, like RPM, or what they consider Thin Steel Vs Steel as to the thickness that can be cut, or anything.