Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acetone: What's it good for?

Acetone: What's it good for?

I was trying to get a gallon of Ispoproopyl alcohol but got mixed up and ended up getting a gallon of Acetone instead. It was easier to do then you think. Both drums were side by side, and they are both clear in color, and the chemical shed smells like a bunch of chemicals such as MEK, alcohol and Acetone, so I really couldn't tell.

Okay, okay...I was having a senior moment and did not look close enough as I was in a hurry...Either way, our machine shop is not allowed to have this chemical, I got to get rid of it.

So my question is,does Acetone have any good use in a woodworking shop?
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

ABQ NM
    Acetone is real good for cleaning up uncured epoxy, and will (slowly) loosen fingers that have been super-glued together. (Don't ask me how I know about the fingers bit.) It's also useful for wiping down oily woods like cocobolo before gluing.

And after a busy Saturday afternoon of playing Tea Party with Alyson, it will remove fingernail polish.

That gallon would last me a long time. I bought a pint a few years ago and still have over half the can.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Maybe not woodworking, but acetone can be used for sealing small wires and wiring coils and can act as a glue in some cases. To make that sealant/glue, you start with a small amount of acetone and then dissolve styrofoam (sp?) peanuts into it until you have the consistency you want. Then it's simply a matter of brushing it on. I think some airplane modelers use it as fabric dope on their models.

cheers eh?

San Antonio, Texas
    Travis, Vaughn has already given you some uses for it. It will easily remove glue residue left by labels. There are some pen turners who use it for something rather unorthodox. Some (like me) use it to dissolve plexiglass. This acetone/plexi mixture can be used for two things. Some use it as a finish instead of CA. Others (like me) use it as a wood stabilizer. It works very well for punky woods.
    Billy B.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Wat Vaughn and Bill said.

Waterford, MI
    If you get epoxy or poly glue on your hands, it works good to get it off but wash your hands afterwards. The acetone will dry, chap, and crack your skin in a hurry.
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I always have a gallon around. I use for light paint removal or if I want something really, really clean. I always use chemical resistant gloves.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Inside the Beltway
    I guess we shouldn't tell Travis he can use it to blow stuff up...!

Inside the Beltway
    "Some use it as a finish instead of CA."

I have got to try that! Do you have more details? Can it be stored? What's the technique?

Cedar Park, TX
    Yeah, that plexiglass/acetone thing sounds cool. More details as to amounts and such, please.

Surprised no one mentioned using it to remove fingernail polish spills for concrete. Since it dissolves darn near everything else, using it to remove fingernail polish from furniture and such might be a little counter productive.

And no we really really shouldn't tell Travis about using it to blow things up.

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet