Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And the money flows like a gushing artery wound

And the money flows like a gushing artery wound

Ok so now I need a set of turning tools.
    Should I go with the Sorby or the Deltas?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    And the money flows like a gushing artery wound

Boy, do I know that feeling!!!!

Sorry, don't know anything about the Deltas, but I am happy with the few Sorby tools I've purchased. I'm sure someone else will know about the others.

Chuck.......... A question first....then maybe some answers. Are you a beginning turner?

If you are an experienced turner, and you are asking the question, I love my Sorbies.

If you are a beginner..........Learning to freehand sharpen turning tools and learning to turn simultaneously is the pits! You should get a sharpening jig and I'd recommend a cheap set of tools FIRST. Learn to use the sharpening jig on the cheap tools and learn to turn simultaneously. Then after your sharpening skills advance worry about buying Sorbys. Learning sharpen can waste a lot of expensive steel. While you are in the learning stages of sharpening, you might as well grind away at cheap steel.

I was lucky...my man Vaughn here gave me a cheap set of HF tools and tod evans gave a better set of Robert Larson tools. I started with the HF tools...once I learned to sharpen, I worked into using and sharpening the Robert Larsons.

If you don't have a sharpening jig....the Oneway Wolverine System is the cat's meow! There are other "knock offs" out there that are cheaper and will do the same job. A jig IMHO is the best way to learn to grind turning tools.

Good luck!
    Ken
    ------

Chuck,

Neither one. Go to harbor freight, and get yourself the $40 set. You're gonna ruin them as you get used to how to sharpen. Then get Randy's monster lathe tool. It's cheap at twice the price...

By that time, you'll have a good approximation of your needs, and a good assessment of actual skills. Then you can start blowing a hundred bucks per tool.

If you can't stand HF, ebay benjamin's best...

Thanks,

Bill

Geez, Ken, you type way faster than I do. And you're a whole lot nicer!

Thanks,

Bill

The Sorbys are fine tools, but like Ken, I'd suggest getting a low-end set to start with. Then, as your sharpening skills improve and your turning experience grows, you can buy individual tools as needed (instead of buying a whole set of higher-end tools).

By the time I was comfortable sharpening the tools in my Harbor Freight set (the set I bought after I sent a set to Ken), I was ready for better tools, and I've bought several different brands along the way. Right now, my favorite tools are from Thompson Lathe Tools. Doug makes great tools and sells them at reasonable prices (for what you get).
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have about 1/4 of Doug's tools they are absolutely fantastic. I plan on having all of his tools also he is a fantastic guy to deal with & also a great turner himself.

Chuck

Chuck I started with this set for $69.95. I am still using most of them today 2 yrs later. They have a $59.95 set but no spindle gouge so that is why I went for the first set.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcsixw.html
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Sharpening is not a problem. I have a set of Sorbys now that will have to go back with the lathe. (It,s been in storage in my shop for going on 5 years now. Just started using it last year though.) I getting a new to me lathe and my buddy's has to go. He swears by his Sorbys and I was just wondering if the steel in the Deltas is comparable. I am guessing they are not but I have no experience with them. I don't want to blow the money on them if they are going to be permanently connected to the sharping stone if you know what I mean.

Chuck, I've not heard of anyone raving about how good the Delta chisels are. Sorby chisels, on the other hand, I have. Doesn't mean much, but it's something to keep in mind.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com