So I had to add a few knifves

Man oh man, I'd better not let my brother-in-law see that walnut-handled dagger. He'll be begging me to make one like it. Those are all sweet-looking knives. I'm also impressed with the Damascus blades.

Newbie question...what is the benefit to a Damascus blade (other than aesthetics)?

Man oh man, I'd better not let my brother-in-law see that walnut-handled dagger. He'll be begging me to make one like it. Those are all sweet-looking knives. I'm also impressed with the Damascus blades.

Newbie question...what is the benefit to a Damascus blade (other than aesthetics)?

Discussing Damascus in a few words is like condensing the origin of the universe into one sentence. Basically, it involves the folding and welding, through pounding/forging of metals to make a blade that is stronger, yet more flexible than the original. Various metals can be incorporated into one blade to take advantage of them all or an improvement from what each, alone, would provide. One theory is that the forging 'lines up' the molecular structure of the steel giving even more strength. 'Back then', before modern steels were available, the only way to gain needed strength in blades (and gun barrels) was through the Damascus forging. I would say that, today, it is more an art form than necessity. Aficionados would argue that statement.