ROS Paper Holder

glenn bradley

You ever have one of those things that bugs you? It bugs you but not enough to do anything about it? Then suddenly you've just had it and you drop what you're doing to take care of it? That happened with my ROS paper last night. I wish I would've held onto some of those 5-1/4" floppy cases . . .

The master plan:

ROS-Station-2-SU.jpg

Took some scrap plywood siding and some leftover MDF from my scrap bin project.

Siding-Scrap.jpg

My DP is out for service so a hand-drilling I shall go. An old arrow gave up it's fiberglass shaft for dowels.

Hand-Drill-and-Arrow.jpg

Round off the corners.

Round-em-off.jpg

Cut the dados (man I really like those setup blocks, its almost like not measuring).

dado-sledding.jpg

Got room for some spare odd-balls in the bottom area. The dowels are sized to allow me to just land the ROS on the plate and the paper lines up with the holes for DC. I set the height to fit on the shelf where my sanders sit when not in use.

Finished-Unit.jpg

Now, where was I . . . .

Last edited:
Great idea :thumb: I've been thinking on building something for my ROS paper and that fits the bill just fine, Same as Garry, I see one in my future soon also.

Tom

Thank you Glenn

That's a great idea...

I have them all in one bundle and I always have to "play cards" to choose the correct number...

The dadoes....I'll make them on the router table...we don't have dado blades here...

I have also many without the holes so I'll just omit the dowels...
My ROS does not need papers with holes for dust extraction...actually, non of my sanders requires papers with holes for dust extraction...after small modifications of course....

Regards
niki

I built one last week myself. I use a lot of sand paper at work, the ROS rolls going from 100 grit all the way up to 700 grit. After that the sand paper switches over to sheets. So I built a rack that has 4 dowels to hold 8 rolls of ROS sand paper. (2 side by side) Then 4 shelves to hold the sheets of sandpaper. I also made a shelf to hold my sanding block,and on the other side, a place to hold my can of polishing rouge/ I even added a holder to hold the brush to apply it to the the steel.

I have been using it for a week now and just love it. I am an organizing freak, so my set of pigeon holes before, just was not working. Now I need to make a new one for use at home. I'll snap a picture of it when I get to work next week. It really is a great design.

Great idea Glenn. I had something similar years ago but not as nice, and kind of crude compared to yours. I built it to small though, and found when I get a good deal and buy in bulk, couldn't fit all the discs in my little unit. They were throwing away these massive 10 drawer file cabinets at work and I grabbed several of them. Sandpaper storage issue solved as you can see in the pic below. Not as compact or as neat as yours though.
sand.jpg

If you buy blank cd's (50 bundles) and cut off the spindle they make good ROS sandpaper storage

You know, I had tried that and they would get stuck about 1" in. I see now that your post reveals the secret of my failure; 100 CD spindles are just enough different not to work. Thanks.

Great idea Glenn. I had something similar years ago but not as nice, and kind of crude compared to yours. I built it to small though, and found when I get a good deal and buy in bulk, couldn't fit all the discs in my little unit. They were throwing away these massive 10 drawer file cabinets at work and I grabbed several of them. Sandpaper storage issue solved as you can see in the pic below. Not as compact or as neat as yours though.
sand.jpg
Wow Dave. Seeing your posts of your 'production' runs I can see that a holder for only 10 or so of each grit would become pretty silly, pretty fast. Your drawer is a great solution.

sand.jpg

Well Dave thats not quite top draw but we'll forgive you this time.:):D:thumb:

This is what I made. I made it for use at work and of course this is where the photo was taken.

The four dowels hold the sandpaper that comes on rolls. Starting with the upper right side it goes 100 grit, 150 grit, then the second dowel holds 220 grit and 320 grit, while the third dowel holds 360 grit (green) and 700 grit (orange). The bottom dowel holds tape.

The four cubby holes underneath hold the sand paper that does not come in rolls. In this case 1200 grit, 1500 grit on the upper two cubby holes and 2000 grit and 4000 grit on the bottom two.

On the right side of the rack I have a dedicated shelf for my hard sanding block, while the other side holds my white liquid polishing rouge with holder for a brush to apply it.

The two white boxes in the back hold my s2 and s6 sanding discs (for removing steel) while the green and white rouge blocks are used for polishing steel. I did not put a back on this so that as grinding dust piles up (ever present in a machineshop) I can easily blow the stuff out.

I have used it for two weeks now and must say, its real nice having everything at hand. Considering how much dull steel I make shiny, that's a nice thing to have.

Sandpaper_Holder-small.JPG

Last edited: