Riving knife VS splitter

Thank you Stu

I just forgot to mention one....Very Small Detail....:)

All this costs Money...and a lot of money...

The TS that you see on the pics, is nothing special, extruded Aluminum top...but costs...over $2,000...not exactly "amateur" stuff...

We have in EU the Bosch, DeWalt and Jet TS's and I compared the prices on both sides of the pond....
Unbelievable, they cost the same in USA and in UK (and EU)...I mean, the number is the same...but, £1 = $2.....

I know that Japan is also not exactly cheap in this cases...I paid for the Hitachi M8V2 router, ¥28,000 and than, I saw it on Amazon for half price....:(

So now, all my American friends can understand why I'm building jigs instead of buying the "so cheap" machines, tool and alike...
I even make my own Foam Brushes...yes, I know...10 Cents or less...but not here...:eek:

Regards
niki

Lets try this again.

This is the pretty typical of the Riving knives I have seen.

RivingKnife.gif

SawSplitter.jpg

How do you do a dado without removing it?

Yeah, there's the confusion. It can't stay in for dados. It does track the blade through bevel adjustments. The two pictured above qualify at some level of the definition. When I think of one, I picture a device that remains below the top of the blade allowing non-through cuts as shown below.

riving knife.jpg riving knife-1.jpg

Although they were used here at one time (and are making a comeback), the countries that use them now also don't like dado blades so it is probably not an issue there. My .02.

Last edited:
I initially replaced my guard/splitter with a Beisemeyer quick release, but when I moved to thin kerf blades, it was just a bit too thick. I now use an Excalibur. It uses the original two anchor points for the old guard/splitter, but has a push button release. I can take it off, or put it back on in less than 2 seconds. I use a sled about 50% of the time, but it's the first thing that goes on if I need to rip something.

If and when the time comes for me to get a new saw, it will have a true riving knife. Then I can still use my sleds and not have to remove/reattach a splitter between operations. And I should be able to leave it on when using my 10" stacked dado. ;)

Thank you Stu

I just forgot to mention one....Very Small Detail....:)

All this costs Money...and a lot of money...

The TS that you see on the pics, is nothing special, extruded Aluminum top...but costs...over $2,000...not exactly "amateur" stuff...

We have in EU the Bosch, DeWalt and Jet TS's and I compared the prices on both sides of the pond....
Unbelievable, they cost the same in USA and in UK (and EU)...I mean, the number is the same...but, £1 = $2.....

I know that Japan is also not exactly cheap in this cases...I paid for the Hitachi M8V2 router, ¥28,000 and than, I saw it on Amazon for half price....:(

So now, all my American friends can understand why I'm building jigs instead of buying the "so cheap" machines, tool and alike...
I even make my own Foam Brushes...yes, I know...10 Cents or less...but not here...:eek:

Regards
niki

Boy Niki, do I know what you mean.

I wanted a 14" bandsaw, they wanted a LOT of money for anything half decent here, just an average saw, so I built one, sure it took some time, but darn it, it is what I want, it works darn good too!

Cheers!