It's all Shaz's fault.....

Greg Cook

I'm doing a remodel to our house powder room, and Shaz has been kind enough to give me tons of tips, techniques, cautions and other good advice. We've already installed a granite vanity top, new cast iron deep sink, new "bamboo style" faucets, new lights, a new toilet and plumbing. Now we are going to put on wallpaper on the upper part of the walls, paint the ceiling and install crown molding. On the lower part of the wall, I'm putting in raised panel wainscoting paneling and a chair rail.

In order to make it right...I need to trim the base plate so it's flush with the floor, adjusted or any "ups or downs" in the hardwood flooring. Shaz suggested some procedures to mark the board, make some cuts, then trim the bottom to fit using a simple block plane. OK, got it marked, cut and ready to trim...but I don't have a block plane. I have NO planes!

Hmmm..check the usual subjects on the internet and find that Woodcraft carries them. I don't do "eBay", nothing on craigslist. Jeff H, I did try Brass City Records, but looks like his site is being re-constructed and he had no block planes listed. (Lowes had a couple $18 and $29 Stanley ones, but nothing else, and I was leery about getting one of the "new" Stanleys that seemed to be real bottom of the line models... Even the packages were covered with dust and taped together).

So, off to Woodcraft I go and end up getting this "simple block plane"....and a little something to hold it. I got the bronze model, as it will not be as affected by our somewhat salty air, like the iron model.

Of course I need something to sharpen the blade with...and as a newby, I will probably dull the blade quickly until I figure out this tool. I know Veritas makes good stuff, so I got one of these for the plane and my cheap chisels.

I couldn't swing a couple of stones, so the guy at Woodcrafters said I could get started with wet sandpaper on a hard, flat surface....I have some scraps from the granite counter top, and my little Craftsman shaper top.

I extended the blade out of the plane a bit, made some passes on a piece of wood, and Wa La.....It curls!

Thanks to Shaz, and his recommendation to get a simple block plane to use on my project, I'm a couple of bills lighter....but excited to use it and figure out how to sharpen blades.

The guy at Woodcraft made a strange comment as I was paying for the plane....something about my money, wallet, fingers having something slick/slippery on them. :huh:I hadn't noticed that before I decided to get the block plane...? Wonder what he meant...:dunno:
:rofl:

That's the problem with some of these things......take turning....or neander.....You are kinda in a daze and don't really know what's happening until the bill collector shows up at the door or you see the realtor putting the "For Sale- Tax Auction" sign in the front yard as the sheriff's deputy tacks the "No entry- Tax Sale" notification on the front door and it's the house you've been living in for 29 years and paid off 4 years ago.:rofl:

Hi Greg :wave:,
In response, Thank you for the kind words.

As many often do, for me, and for the others, just trying to bring out that which is already inside you, trying it's best to get out.:D
Seems like a fine choice with that block plane!! That looks like serious artillery. Even the shine looks expensive!:thumb: Hopefully it will be as much pleasure to use as it is to look at.

Your drawing is looking good and the wall paper, the embossed slightly golden stuff will be very rich looking. Thanks for sharing you escapades at the store. You definitely need a hall monitor to go shopping with you.:rofl::rofl:
Nice curls!!!!!!:thumb:
Shaz :)

Ken,

Oh No! So there's no hope, eh? :doh:

Kinda like me buying screws, washers and nuts at my local Ace Hardware... I can go in for 3 - 4, but ending up coming out with a 100ct box of each! :eek: They're cheaper that way, in the long run, and then you won't have to make another trip in a year or so, right?

:rofl::rofl:

Shaz, really...thanks for all your help. :bow::bow:

I think the little guy will help with the remaining trim I have to put up too. Wish I had gotten one before...

I plan on letting the bronze take on a natural patina...no polishing, except for the natural rub where your hand holds it. I was going to get the black/iron one, but the guy a Woodcraft said with our "salty air" the bronze will be easier to keep in good condition.

I'm surprised at how small it is. Almost gets lost in your hand, but is real smooth and stable.

Ken,

Oh No! So there's no hope, eh? :doh:

Kinda like me buying screws, washers and nuts at my local Ace Hardware... I can go in for 3 - 4, but ending up coming out with a 100ct box of each! :eek: They're cheaper that way, in the long run, and then you won't have to make another trip in a year or so, right?

:rofl::rofl:

Greg....that's provided you can remember where you put the other 96 of them! Please don't ask me how I know this!:rofl:

Have fun on the next slippery slope! That's a good looking little block you picked up. You're right about Shaz! He is very generous and helpful!

That's a pretty little plane, Greg. Congrats. I've been peering off the edge of that slippery slope myself lately. So far I've restrained myself, but I don't think it's gonna last. (Although I'll be going the fix-up route myself instead of buying a little bronze beauty like yours.)