My Tool Chest

Leo Voisine

Well - It's done
Sides and back are quarter sawn Cherry.

Front is Cherry Edge on Maple - the cherry shows but not the maple - did that to save on the cherry - the maple I used was real inexpensive.

Drawer fronts are Birdseye maple.

Drawer sides and backs are maple.

Drawer bottoms and birch ply 1/4 thick.

Inside bottoms of drawers are lined with imitation leather.

Top is carefully selected flat sawn Cherry. I actually cut it from the middle of a 12" wide board. The top is VERY very flat.

The finish is poly only. 10 coats each coat thinned 50% with naptha and applied with a rag.

DO TAKE NOTICE of the escushions behind the drawer knobs - specially made by a special guy that lives in Vermont. Thanks Tim!! They look GREAT!!

Attachments

• TC-1.jpg
    TC-1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 112
  • TC-2.jpg
    TC-2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 93
  • TC-3.jpg
    TC-3.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 108
  • TC-4.jpg
    TC-4.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 80
  • TC-5.jpg
    TC-5.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 98
  • TC-6.jpg
    TC-6.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 76
  • TC-7.jpg
    TC-7.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 80
Vaughn, I have only worked on it occasionally as time permitted. But I would guess about 100 - 150 hours at completely finished.

I cut the plans short to give me some diferent results. There are more to the plans that I planned on doing.

What you see is what I was Planning to do.

Some day I will get better and make it complete with raised panels for my wife, and with the panel doors.

For now this is my benchtop tool chest for special and delicate tools.

FANTASTIC! work Leo :eek:

I would be very proud to show that one off if I had done the work. :thumb:

DT

Tis a very lovely piece of cabinetry. :thumb:
First thing you need to do is take it outside and throw rocks at it :eek: so you can get the scratches over with and can enjoy using it w/o fear of dings and scratches.

I always think that "Someday..." Would be nice for my "special tools" and the ones I want to leave to my grandsons.... etc.

Soooo, is it going to be used as a tool box or will it be re appropriated for other uses??? Very pretty chest (and I don't say that to many men!:rofl:)!

Leo, The chest looks great. I noticed that you used side runners for the drawers. How did you install/attach the side runners and get the drawers aligned with in that small of a space? Thanks, Ron