Freud cabinet router bit set Q's...***Picked Up the Set***

I don't have any of those profiles except the RP Ogee. I will say that Freud is one of the brands I buy when I want "keepers". I haven't had the need to do any lipped doors yet but could see that being handy. As long as the RP, rail and stile profiles are what you're after it looks like a nice set.

Tools Plus has them for $190 just for comparison: http://www.tools-plus.com/freud-94-...ng&utm_source=pricegrabber&utm_term=FRE94-100

Thanks, glenn

Seems like Freud is one of the better brands for bits.

I can get the set for 25% off on a previous sale rain-check coupon, but not confined to Freud, or that particular set. That's the one I've been looking at, but other suggestions are welcome too.

I will say that Freud is one of the brands I buy when I want "keepers". As long as the RP, rail and stile profiles are what you're after it looks like a nice set.

Tools Plus has them for $190 just for comparison: http://www.tools-plus.com/freud-94-...ng&utm_source=pricegrabber&utm_term=FRE94-100

Hi Greg :wave:,
Buying new should mean they are sharp and true. As Glenn interjected if you like the profiles and plan to make raised panels now, it seems to be reasonable investment. I am still trying to figure out the 39 different shape they will make.:dunno::D
Let us know what you decide.
Shaz :)

greg, i have the 3 piece like that with a different profile. they have held up well, i have made many many drawer fronts and paneled ends with them. had to have the panel bit sharpened but it was after a good bit of use

good buy in my opinion although i can't compare them to any other brand

chris

Well, I picked up the set today.

It came with a mini DVD and a set of instructions, so I'll be going over them tomorrow, them making some test cuts to get the process down.

Any tips on cutting, cautions, Duh! moments to share that would help me avoid such....? :doh: :rofl::rofl:

Thanks

Congrats, Greg. First tip that comes to mind is keep track of all ten fingers at all times. ;) That's a honkin' cutter. :eek: I've never used a raised panel door set. I've got a cheap one I picked up at Harbor Freight in my early woodworking days (before I knew better), but I've not had the need (or inclination) to use it.

Greg,

Those look pretty good. I have a five piece set (not freud). I like them, but there's nothing more frustrating than futzing with set up over and over. Finally, I took a 3/4" slab of uhmw, cut it into big pieces, and made some set up blocks. Worth their weight in platinum (or, these days, crude oil! ;)

Now I'm working on a large router sled. Last time I did some end grain, even though I had the bit mostly buried in the fence, the bit grabbed the piece and tried to fling it. I had a death grip on the thing, but almost lost it. That finally got me to ignore advice I'd received, and I put a miter slot in my router table. Yikes! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Well, I picked up the set today.

It came with a mini DVD and a set of instructions, so I'll be going over them tomorrow, them making some test cuts to get the process down.

Any tips on cutting, cautions, Duh! moments to share that would help me avoid such....? :doh: :rofl::rofl:

Thanks

Tips R&S:
- Coping sled (or miter gauge) and backer boards.

Tips Panel:
- bit guard, push blocks
- Set the bit to full height and move the fence for increased depth as opposed to setting the fence for full depth and raising the cutter for multiple passes. (its easy to go a smidge too high and end up with a rattling panel).

Tips General:
- Enjoy.

Last edited: