Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilton woodworking vise

Wilton woodworking vise

Anybody know anything about Wilton woodworking vises? I'm trying to decide what to use for a face vise, and this looks like a good candidate. Here's something that confuses me (one of the many) -- Amazon has two Wiltons available that seem identical, but model numbers are different and prices are way different.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63218-1...5073204&sr=1-6

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63246-1...073741&sr=8-10

I can't seem to find a Wilton website. I know Amazon is famous for putting the wrong photo on a product page so I'm not ready to trust these two photos...which look identical (same grain pattern in the wooden faces).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ed,

Don't know about the vices, but here's Wilton's site:

http://www.wiltontool.com/Products.aspx

Good Luck!

79A is QA, 79C is continuous thread. Page 14, here: http://www.southern-tool.com/PDF/wmh...lton_vises.pdf
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-10-2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    Be excellent to each other. - Rufus

Endevour to persevere.
    -Lone Watie, quoting the Secretary of the Interior

sonuvagun...just ask the guys who know (or know how to find out). Thank you both. I get it now. It's great when the light clicks on.

Cheers.

Ed,

glenn is "da man"...

I just googled around...

Let us know which one you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gerhard View Post
    sonuvagun...just ask the guys who know (or know how to find out). Thank you both. I get it now. It's great when the light clicks on.

Cheers.
    I get so many answers here and so much assistance digging up info that ANY time I can pass something back, I get a kick out of it ;-)

Endevour to persevere.

ed, i used the one with the quick release screw for my face vice on my new bench last year. here's a photo installed:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01063.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	18496

the pivoting jaw raises to act as a 'dog' opposed to the two round dog holes. or the pivoting jaw is easily removed and i transfer the wooden face to the stationary jaw when i don't want the pivot action.

it's a well made vise but i'm sure i didn't pay that much for it last year.
    99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...Steven Wright.

Clark...

That's what I had in mind. Great photo. Thanks for that.

I read a complaint that one user found the pivoting action to be annoying more often than it was useful, so he made a couple of wedges to keep it from doing that (rather than take it off as it was designed to do). Also said he was thinking about drilling and tapping for a couple of thumb screws. What's your overall reaction to the pivoting jaw? I read in Christopher's new book about having a set of vise blocks to prevent racking, and here's a vise that's designed to rack (or so it seems). The confusion never ends.

Good looking bench!

Cheers

I assumed you required the pivot. If you have no specific need for that feature I wouldn't have it. Like many of our decisions, this is based on your methods of work and what kind of work you do. My requirement to grip odd shapes generaly exceeds 10* so I would have to use wedges anyway.

Endevour to persevere.

the pivoting jaws are a pain most of the time. if you place a rectangula piece anywhere but dead center the jaws pivot and only grab the edge of the piece. but....takes only two large screws to change out the pivot jaw. using a powered 'drill' i can do this in a few seconds. so i leave the vise in non-pivoting mode most of the time.

i would recommend the rapid action vise. i don't have that feature on my other (end) vise and cranking is irritating.
    99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...Steven Wright.