Wilton woodworking vise

Ed Gerhard

Anybody know anything about Wilton woodworking vises? I'm trying to decide what to use for a face vise, and this looks like a good candidate. Here's something that confuses me (one of the many) -- Amazon has two Wiltons available that seem identical, but model numbers are different and prices are way different.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63218-...ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1205073204&sr=1-6

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-63246-...bbs_sr_10?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1205073741&sr=8-10

I can't seem to find a Wilton website. I know Amazon is famous for putting the wrong photo on a product page so I'm not ready to trust these two photos...which look identical (same grain pattern in the wooden faces).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

sonuvagun...just ask the guys who know (or know how to find out). Thank you both. I get it now. It's great when the light clicks on.

Cheers.

sonuvagun...just ask the guys who know (or know how to find out). Thank you both. I get it now. It's great when the light clicks on.

Cheers.

I get so many answers here and so much assistance digging up info that ANY time I can pass something back, I get a kick out of it ;-)

ed, i used the one with the quick release screw for my face vice on my new bench last year. here's a photo installed:
DSC01063.JPG

the pivoting jaw raises to act as a 'dog' opposed to the two round dog holes. or the pivoting jaw is easily removed and i transfer the wooden face to the stationary jaw when i don't want the pivot action.

it's a well made vise but i'm sure i didn't pay that much for it last year.

Clark...

That's what I had in mind. Great photo. Thanks for that.

I read a complaint that one user found the pivoting action to be annoying more often than it was useful, so he made a couple of wedges to keep it from doing that (rather than take it off as it was designed to do). Also said he was thinking about drilling and tapping for a couple of thumb screws. What's your overall reaction to the pivoting jaw? I read in Christopher's new book about having a set of vise blocks to prevent racking, and here's a vise that's designed to rack (or so it seems). The confusion never ends.

Good looking bench!

Cheers

I assumed you required the pivot. If you have no specific need for that feature I wouldn't have it. Like many of our decisions, this is based on your methods of work and what kind of work you do. My requirement to grip odd shapes generaly exceeds 10* so I would have to use wedges anyway.

the pivoting jaws are a pain most of the time. if you place a rectangula piece anywhere but dead center the jaws pivot and only grab the edge of the piece. but....takes only two large screws to change out the pivot jaw. using a powered 'drill' i can do this in a few seconds. so i leave the vise in non-pivoting mode most of the time.

i would recommend the rapid action vise. i don't have that feature on my other (end) vise and cranking is irritating.

Thanks for those inputs. I'll paraphrase Clark's signature...the more you explain it the more questions I have.

A feature I (think) I like about this vise is the single centered guide way instead of the two guide bars that most vises have...ie, less stuff to interfere with clamping.

So...if I removed the pivoting jaw, stashed it away somewhere and put a wooden face on the outer jaw.......... Well, first of all is that possible, and if so, is the guide design of this vise worth its cost? I read a review of a Wilton machinist's vise (in EDN of all places) and the guy couldn't get over what a well-made tool it is...does this enthusiasm apply to the woodworking vises as well?

Thanks and cheers.

Interesting, Bill. Thanks for the links.

Here's the thing about me and Amazon. I have an Amazon Visa that I use for everything...all my bills, groceries, diesel, phone, internet...basically all the stuff I'd be paying anyway plus everything else (except electric co. won't take it). I pay it off each month so there aren't any interest charges. And it pays me back with reward certificates. Right now I have $50 worth, so that $225 vise would cost me $175 free shipping. If I end up waiting 'til next month it'll be $150. I bought my Tormek from an Amazon vendor, and at that time I had $225 in credits...made buying that expensive machine a less traumatic experience. So I'm kinda hooked into Amazon, but I'm continually surprised at how many of the tools I'm looking for are available through them...not always at the lowest price, but after applying the credits it usually is. For example I found this vise for $180...but $40 shipping. Except Lee Valley. Wouldn't that be nice. I bought the twin-screw. Yikes. 4 or 5 years ago I almost bought that thing...it was around $150...just paid $225. Scary for an old hide like me.

Anyway...got off in the weeds there. I want to go new. I'd sell pencils on the corner for awhile 'til I had enough for the Tucker, but I really don't need such a vise...although I'm sure it's worth it. One of the standard quick release vises will meet my needs, but I would prefer to not have to modify the heck out of it to make it work right (ie the Anant with the dog that won't retract all the way, and some reports of it slipping threads on the tighten). So if the Wilton is made like a sherman tank and the only issue is the pivoting jaw then I'd go with it. Funny thing though...every time I sit down here and search for vises I see something I hadn't seen before. Oh well, part of the enjoyment.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

ed, you raised the question of whether removing the pivot jaw was doable...i thought it was worth this work...two wooden jaws, one on each wilton outer jaw...
View attachment 18504

you can see that all i have to do is zip out two square drive screws to remove the fixed jaw and insert the pivot jaw using the pin to attach to the base. i do this when i want the pivot jaw or the use of a 'dog' at this end of the bench. my real kick ass dual quide vise is at the end of the bench
DSC01069.JPG

Last edited: