PROJECT: My First "Router Bowl"

Ever since I first watched Woodsmith Magazine's YouTube video on making a router bowl, I've been really anxious to see if I could do it. The first step was to buy the MLCS collet extension. After that, it was just a matter of getting it done.

I had a small chunk of claro walnut sitting on a shelf, so I decided that was it. I did what the video said, and made a simple circular pattern, slapped it down on the walnut, and this is what cmae out.....sorta.

2322084961_bde50ed97f.jpg

2322902196_cfc72d967b.jpg

2322085627_73ba33a564.jpg

Clearly, it's not quite a perfect circle. :D I haven't perfected cutting out the outer circle yet. Since my bandsaw is currently out of commission, I had to shape it by hand. It was tricky, but I enjoyed it. I've only applied one coat of mineral oil at this point.

There was one incident, however, that scared the crap outta me. I think turners call it "blowing up a bowl" :eek: I was using a New Wave Velcro Sanding Disk in my drill press, sanding down the inside bottom, and I lost my concentration. The bowl slipped out of my hand, started spinning around the quill. I tried to recover it, and *SLAM*......right against the wall!!

2322084627_882f306175.jpg

I'm lucky that that it was only four pieces I had to glue together. It turned out OK, I think...

Thanks for looking!

- Keith

Good bowl, nice save!

I think you are the first person I've ever heard of who has had a bowl explode on a catch while sanding! :D :thumb: VERY COOL! :headbang:

Very nice bowl and nice save.

I had an open-segmented bowl blow on me while power sanding the inside. Luckily, I was able to glue all four pieces back on the bowl. I don't think power sanding the inside of an open-segmented bowl is a good idea.

ive been wanting to try this as well, what router bit did you use to hollow out the inside?

i havent been able to find the bowl bit the youtube video talks about

ive been wanting to try this as well, what router bit did you use to hollow out the inside?

i havent been able to find the bowl bit the youtube video talks about

Hi Mike. I used the bearing-guided Whiteside bowl/tray bit. I picked mine up at Woodcraft, but you could also use the MLCS brand. I've never been unhappy with their bits.

- Keith

I'm glad that you werent hurt and that the bowl eventually came out so nicely despite the breakage. Congratulations for it.

BTW Do you call that a "small chunk":huh: Then what is a "big chunk" for you:D

Nicely done.

I happen to have that particular Woodsmith magazine with me and the bit in the video is a 1 1/4"-dia bowl and tray bit with top bearing made by CMT.

The collet extention in the video is also made by CMT.

Keith is there anything someone wanting to try this should look out for? (besides holding your bowl while sanding :D )

Seriously just brush off the fact that it's not a perfect circle by saying it's a design feature. :) Great work.

Nicely done.

I happen to have that particular Woodsmith magazine with me and the bit in the video is a 1 1/4"-dia bowl and tray bit with top bearing made by CMT.

The collet extention in the video is also made by CMT.

Keith is there anything someone wanting to try this should look out for? (besides holding your bowl while sanding :D )

Seriously just brush off the fact that it's not a perfect circle by saying it's a design feature. :) Great work.

Hi Yann! I've made three.....well, four bowls to this point, and there are couple of things I've learned as I went along. First, go really slow. Speed won't get you anything but a busted pattern, and a wrecked piece of wood. DAMHIKT!! :doh: Second, definitely take very light passes...like they said in the article. Also, I'm using the cushioned sanding system used in the article. Maybe I haven't mastered the technique yet, but I'm finding it difficult to get an even sanding finish using those pads. It takes a bit longer, but I hand sanded/shaped my last dish, and it turned out MUCH better.

Have fun!!

- Keith