Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: OT- Breast Cancer **Update SIX Months Cancer Free**

Tokyo Japan

OT- Breast Cancer **Update SIX Months Cancer Free**

My wife Emiko has been diagnosed with breast cancer, she checks into the hospital tomorrow, and has the surgery on Wednesday, then a weeks recovery, then the Chemo starts.

Seems it has been caught in the first stages, her score in the Scarff-Bloom-Richardson system is a "5" which puts her on the upper limit of a Stage one breast cancer. The tumor is 1.7 cm in diameter and they will do a "Lumpectomy" which is good, and the prognosis is also very good.

Tomorrow I take her into the hospital in the morning and then I get to work all day, then back to the hospital to meet with the surgeon, around 8 PM. I'll know more then, but things seem very straight forward.

Most of the expenses are covered up to 70% by hour health care, and Emiko bought an insurance policy about 15 years ago that she has paid into every month, this will pay her a substantial amount of money, hopefully enough to cover the remaining %30 and any other expenses, like the meals in the hospital, that are NOT covered by our "Universal" health care , at least we should not have a staggering medical bill to shoulder as well.

The only down note is that the mother-in-law has been her usual poor excuse for a human being, which does not help, but no one was surprised either, but I'll not dwell no the insignificant.

We remain upbeat, a little scared but hopeful, I don't know if I'll be around much, or I might just be around a lot, depend I guess.

I was reluctant to write about this, as my wife is a very private person, you see we, as a family run business, live a fairly public life, everyone knows who we are, who are kids are etc, so privacy is a hard won thing for us, but in this case, we thought it was worth it, if even on of you guys makes it a point to talk to your significant other, mother, or lady in your life about getting a check up.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 09-20-2008 at 04:33 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Zushi, Japan

I am work now and just reading this. I am very sorry to hear this news. I sincerely hope for a speedy recovery. On an up note I understand that breast cancer caught in the early stages has a very high rate of recovery. Let us know how it goes. We are all very concerned.

ABQ NM
    Stu, I'll have Emiko, you, and the rest of your family in my thoughts. Let her know she's got a lot of people pulling for her around the world. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help from here.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Brentwood, TN
    I wish both you and your wife the best Stu. Let us know if we can help...
    Member; Society of American Period Furniture Makers

Fredericksburg, VA
    Stu....I will keep your family in my prayers. Take care.

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Elgin, IL
    I'll have your whole family in my prayers. I know 2 ladies who have went through this, both caught in the early stages. Everything came out well for them. Keep up the faith.

Wisconsin Dells, WI
    Stu, you, Emiko and family will be in our thoughts and prayers. Glad it was caught early and here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Please keep us updated.

I'll be thinking all positive thoughts here for your wifes speedy and complete recovery Stu!!

Carol Stream Illinois

You and your family are in our prayers. I will be making an appointment today to see my doctor as I have found something this last weekend that does not feel right, have not slept well this weekend.

DSM, IA
    Stu, my family will have you and yours in the thoughts and prayers.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website