Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Car Runs on Lettuce

New Car Runs on Lettuce

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — Volkswagen announced the upcoming release of their latest entry into the eco-friendly automotive market. Running on lettuce and other green waste, the new Volkswagen Schildkröte is expected to revolutionize the concept of 'green transportation'. "Imagine using that leftover bag of salad, or last weekend's grass clippings, to provide fuel for your car." said Volkswagen spokesman Bergen "Bugs" Kaninchen at a recent news conference. "While not the fastest car we have ever made, the Schildkröte is by far the steadiest and most reliable automobile produced anywhere, by anyone", he added.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

LOL....Don't really care that it runs on vegies, but I do like the look!

Punchbuggy Green!!!

That's great! I wonder if the head and wheels pop in and out of the shell?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I had 2 VW Rabbits in highschool and college....I bet I could have beat this car in a race....at least out of the starting block. Then again, I would probably just start screwing around and he would win in the end.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I had an '81 Rabbit diesel for several years - 45 mpg and it would beat almost anything on the expressway. I was sorry when my son rolled it!!!
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    I had an '81 Rabbit diesel for several years - 45 mpg and it would beat almost anything on the expressway. I was sorry when my son rolled it!!!
    This is how foolish my State is. They actually outlaw small vehicles like mini-pickups and small cars that have diesel engines in them. You would think in a state where everyone commutes long distances (40 miles one way for me) they would promote such cars.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Why would Maine outlaw small vehicles with diesels, what was reason?

Born in Bangor former maineiac
    Last edited by Dave Trask; 03-12-2008 at 08:33 AM.
    Don’t have the best tools, don't use the best woods and projects don’t always turnout perfeck.
    I just feel the need to work with wood!

It isn't just Maine. I thought it was the entire USA.

Note that the Mercedes Smart car, which is a diesel, is imported into Canada, but is NOT imported into the US. They are all over the place here in Canada. Maybe not millions and millions, but certainly plenty. My local city, for instance, is using them for city-owned cars that bylaw officers (and others) use to get around London.

About 2 years ago I knew a fellow who bought one. Then about 6 months later he moved to the states... Baltimore as I recall. And he was flat out told that they would not license the car. He had to bring it back to Canada to sell it.

Makes no sense to us. Sure, diesel is a "dirty" fuel, but these cars emit far less of the dirt than all those umpteen bazillion trucks on both our nations highways and biways. Try outlawing those trucks and see what happens. But they outlaw cars that get far far better MPG than trucks.

...art

ps: are other diesel cars allowed in the US? Like the VW Beetle or Golf or Passat?