Thread: Air Compressor Recommendations

Air Compressor Recommendations

I've got a 18 (or so) gallon no-name compressor I bought 6 or 7 years ago at the local Auto Zone parts store. I don't recall the specs, but it's your average 120v oil-lubed hobbyist compressor with an 18 gallon (or so) horizontal tank on wheels. Definitely not for a production environment, but it's blown every time I've asked it to, so I figure I've gotten my money's worth for the $200 it cost. I use it primarily for blowing dust off things (including myself), and occasionally it powers my brad and pin nailers. I don't spray with it, since it's underpowered, plus I have a separate (cheapie) HVLP system that works great for my needs.

This morning right before leaving to go to work I noticed oil has been leaking from the head of the compressor onto the tank. Not just a little, either. Aside from adding some more oil, I have no clue what to try to do to fix it, or if it'd even be worth trying to fix it. So the questions:

Should I bother trying to find what's leaking trying to fix it? I'm guessing it's a blown seal, but I have no idea where I'd find a replacement. Any ideas? If I can't fix it, I'll probably just keep putting oil in it and run it until it seizes.

If I decide to replace it, what would you recommend? As much as I'd like a nice big Ingersol-Rand standing in the corner of the shop, I don't have the money, 240v power, or space for that class of machine. I'm looking for something that'll drive small nailers and a blower nozzle, fit in a relatively small space, run on 120v power, and leave enough money in my wallet to buy LOML a little something for Christmas. The quieter the better. Any recommendations?

TIA -
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn, the first thing I’d do is check/re-torque the head, maybe replace the head gasket.
    If you end up looking for a new compressor….sorry, I gotta recommend the IR. With the lathe, mill, TS, BS, etc, I was 220 challenged. I bought the 2hp 30 gallon horizontal (I’m space challenged too) and couldn’t be happier with it. It’s markedly quieter than my old Speed-Aire too.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

You maybe 220 and space challenged, but you got a really cool garage/shop, Bruce.

ditto what Burce said on trying to stop the leak...if you really want a "new" one, I've had good luck on craigslist.com, if you have one in your area. Test out before pay, but you can get some really good deals.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    You maybe 220 and space challenged, but you got a really cool garage/shop, Bruce.
    Thanks Joe
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Thanks guys. I checked it out a bit more tonight, cleaned up the dusty oil from the tank and wiped the dust off the oil level window, and as it turn out, it hadn't lost much oil. I tilted it back and forth a few times to confirm I was seeing the level move as expected, and it only ended up needing a few teaspoons of oil to get the level back up to the center of the dot.
    I'll be waiting to see what happens, and keep a close eye on the oil level, but I'll bet it'll keep running right along.

That said, I did have a look at the IR offerings, and one in the class of Bruce's would be out of my reach cost-wise and hard to justify for my uses. (Love to have one, though. You've got a lot of other toys in your shop I'd like to have some day, too, Bruce.) For a compressor to tuck under the workbench though, this one looked pretty workable. It's not on wheels, but it is still mobile with a cast iron head. Anyone have any experience with it?

And Greg, thanks for the Craigs List tip...I did have a look at it today, and if I get in the market for a compressor it'll be one of the places I'll be watching closely. (That's how I found my lathe...about a mile and a half from my house.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

vaughn, invest in a motorguard toilet paper filter, keep the bolts tight, oil level up and put a few bucks aside as you`re able.......the darn thing might keep tickin` for 5-10 more years?.....with a filter in place you`ll not be blowing oil on stuff and hopefully you`ll be able to save for your last compressor........oh-yeah, i`m a quincy fan .......tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

What Tod said and Change the oil every now and then!!!
    But if you gotta go new I'm with Bruce.
    I have the 5hp IR 60 Gal.
    Very cool.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell View Post
    What Tod said and Change the oil every now and then!!!
    But if you gotta go new I'm with Bruce.
    I have the 5hp IR 60 Gal.
    Very cool.
    TJH
    and make sure you get the right oil!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    vaughn, invest in a motorguard toilet paper filter, keep the bolts tight, oil level up and put a few bucks aside as you`re able.......the darn thing might keep tickin` for 5-10 more years?.....with a filter in place you`ll not be blowing oil on stuff and hopefully you`ll be able to save for your last compressor........oh-yeah, i`m a quincy fan .......tod
    Boy, Tod, I'm with you. The IR's are good compressors for sure, but I LOVE those old SLOW Turning Quincy's. They're quieter, and seem to last forever.