Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oneway Live Center..........*Got It!!*

Oneway Live Center..........*Got It!!*

I'm looking at getting the Oneway Live center.........

A decent review >> Here <<

I have the stock Nova Live center, which is OK, and one that came with the lathe, a Groz unit, which is also OK, but neither are really great. I've used the Oneway live center a bit at some of our club meetings, and I'm really impressed with it.

I need to buy some stuff, new grinding wheels, and such, so adding this to the order seems to make sense, the other thing I'm interested in, with this unit is the adapter that screws onto the live center that you then screw your chuck onto, this way, when taking the bowl from the faceplate to the chuck, the bowl will be centered in the chuck, the other thing I see this useful for is for centering bowls onto a vacuum chuck. Lastly, the pen turning point, this looks worthwhile to save the aluminum points.

If you have this live center, can you tell me about it?

If you have some reason why you think it is bunk, well, lets hear that too!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 03-14-2008 at 10:56 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

For $100.00+ compared to $10.00, it really would have to have it's worth proven to me.

Stu, I read the review and this looks identical to the LC that came w/my PM. Except I didn't get the additional larger cone. I didn't read anything in the review that talked about a part for the LC that screws to a chuck, so I was a bit confused about that. First, I will say that the LC that came w/my PM is a DREAM compared to any other LC I've tried and well worth the extra money.

Osolnik has this LC for $49.95.

And the Oneway LC adapter for the chuck adds another $50 to the cost. But I'm betting it would fit the LC above.
    Billy B.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Stu,

I have both Oneway and the Nova LC, IMO they are equally good.
    The Oneway bull nose is larger (Nova is smaller and was a separate accessory), but the 60 cone is soft aluminum. It can be nicked easily with pens mandrel but re-trued with turning tool very easy.
    The Nova has a stud for you to make special wood cone (such as for sphere turning). With Oneway you have tap it with 3/4" X 10 TPI tap.

I also have the Revolving Center Adapter for you to attach your chuck for reverse chucking alignment. It is good in theory, but not very accurate in use. The Oneway LC has some clearance on the bearing, when you attach a heavy chuck with a tall bowl, the gravity would pull your work slightly off center. I find it is no more accurate than marking the center of the bottom and aligning with the point of the LC.
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    If you have this live center, can you tell me about it?
    Okay, Stu, I do have this live center. About all I can tell you about it different from what the Oneway site has to say is that I like it very much. Mind you, I went from a real piece-of-junk dead center to this so I guess I would like it, wouldn't I? It runs so smoothly it's amazing! Unfortunately, not having used any other LCs I can't say whether it's better than the more economical models out there.
    Come to think of it, I guess this probably isn't much help, is it?

Good luck on your decision. As for me, I've come to think very highly of anything Oneway and am willing to pay a bit extra for their products as I appreciate quality. I've too often bought tools more than once because I saved(?) money buying a cheap tool the first time. Also, I must admit I like buying from a Canadian company and avoiding problems with the revenue people when things come across the border; been there, done that!

From what I've been told, the live center on the PM5320 and the Jet 1620 is a clone of the Oneway center.

Not having the Oneway, but having the PM live center all I can say that is is a really nice live center. The best I own.

I have the OneWay live center and like it. I don't have much to compare it to, though. I needed some of the cones that it comes with and that's why I bought it. But it's worked well for me.

I only do turning as a sideline to my primary work, which is furniture, so my opinions of turning things should be viewed in that light.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Here are the photos of the special nose cones that I am talking about. I find them useful for reversing when you don't want to leave the mark of the point on the bottom.

The Nova is easier to knock out the point for changing to a different point.

Other than wood, I also have cones made from UHMW, those super slippery plastic. Similar to something like this:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...a_center?Args=

It is a cheap alternative to the $75 live center.
    Gordon

I've made a few of those for my LC too, Gordon. They work quite well. And I've used the same technique for jam chucks too. It's one of the things I like best about the LC that came with my 3520B. It frees up a hand when trying to center a turning.
    Billy B.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Stu, I have the Oneway and the Nova and all I have to say is that I use the Nova 99% of the time. That is not saying the Oneway is not a good center, I just find the Nova more versatile.

I find the versatility of the different tips to be a great advantage. This is particularly true for my box work. I like the ability to use different turned centers on the screw for the Nova. I really learned the advantage to this when I made a large run of pepper and salt mills for Christmas.

For the going price of $49.95 I think it is a great live center.

But as Frank said I also have a bunch of cheap $10 centers for rough work. I see no need to use an expensive center when mounting a bowl blank between centers.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.