Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric chainsaw questions

DSM, IA

Electric chainsaw questions

I need to find a good electric chainsaw...I do most of my turning and blank prep at night or during my daughters nap on the weekends. Because of this noise is not good. I currently have a Ryobi 10" 18volt chainsaw that does OK on small limbs, but the size is limited and the batteries give out pretty quick as well. Would a cheap $35 1.5HP Remington be any of an upgrade over what I have? The budget as always is thin, but I don't want to by something that I will need to upgrade soon. Would a 3 or 3.5 HP ($59-79) saw really have that much more power? I could sell the Ryobi to supplement the cost of the new electric saw too if anyone is interested.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

ABQ NM
    Jeff, based on my limited use of electric chainsaws, I'd recommend getting as many HP as your wallet will allow. A sharp chain is also a big help, but like a lot of tools, more horses is good.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Kansas City, Missouri
    I think the largest I ever cut with my remington was about 6" - 8" and wet wood. Dry wood takes some time to get through with it, just didn't seem to have the weight to keep the chain/blade from bouncing.

Also have to clean it often or oil the chain with an oil can as the oiler clogs up.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Stow, OH
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Would a 3 or 3.5 HP ($59-79) saw really have that much more power? I

If it still plugs in 110 V 15 Amp outlet, those are ShopVac and old compressor horsepower ratings. The problem I have with those cheap chainsaw is the plastic drive sprocket. It doesn't hold up at all. The chain has to be very sharp, and don't have much expectation that it will last. It would work for light duty usage.
    A real Stihl and Husky electric chainsaw is so expensive. I have heard good things about them, but never seen one.

Zushi, Japan

I recently picked up a Shindaiwa A150. It has a 14" blade and runs at 14A, 1300W. I bought it for similar reasons to your needs - gas powered are too much noise for Sunday afternoon use. I don't know if Shindaiwa is available in your area but they have a full line of electric models.

Salt Spring Island, BC Canada
    Ahhh nothing compares to the sound or the wirrr in the woods of a good saw felling trees. Unless it is the cursing of the faller winding up the cord.

I was a Stihl dealer for many years, and can attest to the fact that there's a galaxy of difference between the cheap, "big box store" electric saws and the more expensive brands. My store did warranty service for the borg stores, and having repaired a great many Remingtons etc, I can say from experience that you get what you pay for.

I'm not up on the the pricing anymore, but it seems that the smallest Stihl would be way more saw than you'd need, and might be in the $250 range??

If you buy a cheap model, keep Gordon's advice in mind ... sharp, sharp, sharp and let it cut rather than pushing it.

I've not seen an electric Shindaiwa, but if they're anything like their gasoline brethren, then they're a pretty darn good unit. Any gasoline Shindaiwa equipment that I serviced appeared to be top quality.

cheers eh?

Inside the Beltway
    Well, Jeff, these guys are right. You want a real chain saw, you gotta pay some serious green. No point in messing around with them cheap things, no sirree. These guys know what they're talking about, they're pretty smart. And you should listen to them. Don't listen to me, I truly am the dumbest guy in the room. What do I know?

Me, I just got this dumpy little electric model. Paid like 80 bucks for it. I ain't going to be cutting down any redwoods anytime soon with that thing. Makes me ashamed just to use it. Have to close the shop doors whenever I turn it on to slice up a blank. I mean, what would the neighbors say? 18 inch bar. Had it going on two years now. Cut down a 14" walnut with it once. But like I said, I had to wait for a really cloudy day, so no one could see me. If it's sunny, I have to haul out my big ole gas guzzler, and make the proper noises. They expect me to keep up appearances around here!

Like I said, don't listen to me. I really, truly, honestly don't know what I'm doing! Ask Jerry and Cody. They heard the whole story of me cutting down small trees with a sawsall. Anyone who would do something like that...

Goodland, Kansas
    Jeff I know what you mean about noise but I am telling you if you are going to cut bowl blanks out of logs well lets just say it isn't fun. The only thing I found good about a electric is that you could cut the corners off bowl blanks. You try to cut a 12 to 14 inch bowl blank out of ash, walnut, etc. you are going to be at it for a while. I gave mine to my brother in New Mexico to cut firewood. Just my humble opinion.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I've got a makita 16" 15 amp, dont know the model# off the top of my head but they sell them on Amazon. I've seen it several times as low as $200 with free shipping (I got mine this way) It had excellent customer reviews. I've had mine about a year and so far it's tough as nails and cuts faster that you might imagine, they rev much slower than a gas saw but it still gets the job done, And I cut mainly Ironwood and mesquite with it, (mostly seasoned),two of the dirtiest and hardest woods around, I can't say enough good about it, considering my expeirence so far. I often use it even when noise isn't a consideration to save wear and tear on my gas saw. One note; You get the best performance when you use the heaviest, shortest cord you can get away with. I use a 25' 12-3. Barry