Home made scraper

Terry Quiram

I use this tool for scraping inside hollows. The bits are made from RcK 70 tool steel that has been sharpened beyound its intended life. Three have been sharpened and 3 are left to be shaped. It takes a long time to grind the profile I want. Like the Bedan these bits hold an edge a very long time.

Attachments

• MVC-004F.JPG
    MVC-004F.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 82
  • MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 54
Vaughn the bar is home made but I bought it from a friend that was moving to Peterlee England.

Stu the steel was in his scrap pile. He admitted that there was no reason for saving it but just like woodworkers we just cant throw away that little piece of nice stock.

Terry, that is very cool. I'm in the process of making something similar, just waiting for it to warm up a little more so I can heat the steel bar up to bend it. Propane torch and temps in the teens don't heat up to well.

I also make my own tools. Those look great. Wish I had a source for tool steel like that. I have used pieces of grade 8 bolts and have had some luck with that. I will post some pics of mine sometime.

Mike

I started out by making myself a thin parting tool from a used industrial hack saw blade. I have sold and given away about 20 of those. I also have made and sold 3 point tools. The other stuff is just to support my habit. I am currently looking for a used Smithy 3 in 1. When I find one I have a lot more tools I want to build.

Terry