Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Collection piping installation.

Dust Collection piping installation.

A very small beginning on my DC piping installation.

My plan is to run 6" Sewer pipe to all my machines. I have alot of the pieces purchased, just sitting and waiting. I am waiting for some extra funds to actually purchase the piping that will be required.

I was messing around and created a 6" port for my jointer ( Grizz G0593). Here is what I ended up with. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1722.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	18550 I am not sure the gate will end up here. I was just experimenting with how the Lee Valley gate fit with a 6" HVAC duct. It does fit exactly.

More about this as I go along with the installation.

Here is the web album showing some of the details.
    Last edited by Bartee Lamar; 03-12-2008 at 01:11 AM.

Well the good thing is you seem to be going at this thing with some planning. My DC system evolved over 20 years as I built my shop and then upgraded equipment, re-arranged things to fit etc, so although it works, it ain't purdy. Lots of different types of connectors and blast gates etc. Thought of tearing much of it apart and building a new system to fit my existing setup which is finally kinda dialed in to fit the existing space. All metal, new gates etc, but man what a job that would be. Pricey too. So for now it's gonna continue the way it is.
    Build it Break it Fix it ...repeat

Bartee, Looks like your off to a good start. Nice work on the jointer's port. Looking forward to seeing how it evolves.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Here is a little more of the planning.

I made a plan on visio... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shop DC pipe.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	18554 This was mainly so I could count the number of wye connections I would need.

And have purchased fittings when I had some extra cash. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1742.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	18555 That is a 20ft box of 4" for machine connections.

I also made a leap and purchased Lee Valley gates. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1743.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	18556 Along with 3 - 10ft sections of 6" flex.

Now I just need some time and sections of green sewer pipe. Which I WILL be spay painting white, just so it will look a little better.
    Last edited by Bartee Lamar; 03-12-2008 at 02:13 AM.

what DC unit are you using?

also id make sure you have room in the little booth to change out the bag
    Als ik kan

I have a Grizzly G0441 3hp cyclone installed. I have already concluded that I over bought. I am now sure a 2hp unit would have worked just fine in my environment.

Here is the web album for that.

I have not built the "little room" but have made many measurements to make sure that I can get the canister out to empty it. You are very observant to see that problem.

i checked out your pics bartee, thats one bad unit you got there! should be sweet
    Als ik kan

If you route your ducts diagonally, branching at the DC for the miter saw, and then the major line heading directly for the TS and jointer, you can save some distance, but more important, have fewer turns. This would diminish flow resistance, which might not be needed, but does not hurt.

Having lived with a small shop I have had the chance to make lots of mistakes & some that couldn't be done any other way. One thing I have had to do because of a small shop is runs that were not straight enough elbows & such because of lights in the way etc. Please listen th Alan he has it right run your system as straight as you can & put things together so you have sweeps instead of elbows.Use 2 45 or 30 degree plumbing joints with a short pipe between them instead of an elbow.

The other thing I did in my little shop is put the DC right next to the entry door this makes emptying the chips & dust a snap.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I will be using 2 45's for the 90 degree turns on the main line.

I am somewhat constrained on the twists and turns. I will keep y'all updated....

THANKS for all the input....