Dust Collection piping installation.

Bartee Lamar

A very small beginning on my DC piping installation.

My plan is to run 6" Sewer pipe to all my machines. I have alot of the pieces purchased, just sitting and waiting. I am waiting for some extra funds to actually purchase the piping that will be required.

I was messing around and created a 6" port for my jointer ( Grizz G0593). Here is what I ended up with. IMG_1722.jpg I am not sure the gate will end up here. I was just experimenting with how the Lee Valley gate fit with a 6" HVAC duct. It does fit exactly.

More about this as I go along with the installation.

Here is the web album showing some of the details.

Last edited:
Well the good thing is you seem to be going at this thing with some planning. My DC system evolved over 20 years as I built my shop and then upgraded equipment, re-arranged things to fit etc, so although it works, it ain't purdy. Lots of different types of connectors and blast gates etc. Thought of tearing much of it apart and building a new system to fit my existing setup which is finally kinda dialed in to fit the existing space. All metal, new gates etc, but man what a job that would be. Pricey too. So for now it's gonna continue the way it is.

Here is a little more of the planning.

I made a plan on visio... Shop DC pipe.jpg This was mainly so I could count the number of wye connections I would need.

And have purchased fittings when I had some extra cash. IMG_1742.jpg That is a 20ft box of 4" for machine connections.

I also made a leap and purchased Lee Valley gates. IMG_1743.jpg Along with 3 - 10ft sections of 6" flex.

Now I just need some time and sections of green sewer pipe. Which I WILL be spay painting white, just so it will look a little better.

Last edited:
I have a Grizzly G0441 3hp cyclone installed. I have already concluded that I over bought. I am now sure a 2hp unit would have worked just fine in my environment.

Here is the web album for that.

I have not built the "little room" but have made many measurements to make sure that I can get the canister out to empty it. You are very observant to see that problem.

If you route your ducts diagonally, branching at the DC for the miter saw, and then the major line heading directly for the TS and jointer, you can save some distance, but more important, have fewer turns. This would diminish flow resistance, which might not be needed, but does not hurt.

Having lived with a small shop I have had the chance to make lots of mistakes & some that couldn't be done any other way. One thing I have had to do because of a small shop is runs that were not straight enough elbows & such because of lights in the way etc. Please listen th Alan he has it right run your system as straight as you can & put things together so you have sweeps instead of elbows.Use 2 45 or 30 degree plumbing joints with a short pipe between them instead of an elbow.

The other thing I did in my little shop is put the DC right next to the entry door this makes emptying the chips & dust a snap.

Bartee, you mentioned using the green sewer and drain pipe. Is there a reason? The white is lighter and cheaper. I believe McMaster Carr has it, and they have a location in Atlanta so that shouldn't be too far for you. I believe they offer will call to save the shipping. Also check to see if you have one of these near you :http://www.horizononline.com/ They seem to be all over and are supposed to carry the 6" thin wall gravity fed sewer and drain pipe. (Don't call it S&D 2729. Even though it is stamped on the side of the pipe, the yards don't know that number!!:dunno::huh:) I hunted for a while to find it, but it would be better if you are using PVC. I did still have to paint some of my pipe because it was stained. The spray paint for plastic worked great. I did use some of the primer for plastic by the same brand to seal the stains.
The 2 hp may have been enough, but you'll never regret having the bigger unit. Jim.

Jim,

Thanks for the lead. They have a location in north Atlanta somewhat close to me. I will go see them and check out what they have. I will keep you posted.

All of the fittings have been purchased at Lowes. They have been the only place I could find the sewer and drain 6". I would love to find 8" for my main trunk line. The inlet on the DC is 8" and hate to restrict that down to 6" right at the unit. So I will venture out the Horizon and see what they have.

Otherwise I will get the green stuff at Lowes and see how it paints. I have found spay for plastic and purchase two spay cans of white. As you can see from my shop pictures I like WHITE.

Last edited:
Yes, I got my 6-6-4 wyes, and 22.5 els from Lowes. All of the 6-6-6 wyes and 45 els I ordered from McMaster Carr and saved some money. You could probably save even more getting them from the local MC there in Atlanta and saving the shipping. That's the location my orders were sent from.
On the 8", you would be much better to go with metal. 8" PVC would be prohibitive!!, and that's IF you could even find it. 6" is hard enough to come up with. Jim.

Hi Bartee,

I am with Alan. If you go diagonal you will have shorter runs, you will eliminate the deadly right angle turns and you will have less places for stuff to accumulate. Where a right angle turn was needed, I used two 45s with a short coupler to make the 90 degrees. I did this to keep the air flow smoother. My original design was done on the bias. However, the amount of construction I would have had to change was too great. Now after re-arranging machinery several times, I could probably go back to diagonal.

My setup is a bit like yours. I also ran 6" all of the way. However, I used 4" drops approx 5' long. This seems to be working fine. The 4" flex is so much more flexable than the 6". If it appears that 6" drops would be better I would change---however, I DO like the pliability of the 4".

I placed strategic end caps (could use plugs) for easier cleaning.

I am still changing things about as I purchase new equipment and find I work differently than I thought I would. However, I would be glad to send you my Visio plan if it will help you. Just PM me.

Oh yes, I purchased white PVC pipe not the green.

It was fun and frustrating designing my DC system. My major complaint is that I purchased my dust collector before I was smart enough to know that there was a better way. I have a two bag system with one micron filtering...No cyclone. It sounds to me like you have done a much better job in selecting your DC.

My system moves all visible material very well. I should not say, "All". I do not have all collectors attached in all desired locations yet. For example the lower part of the table saw is great. However, I don't have an above board collector yet.

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited: