Mulberry Root Pot

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is a piece of mulberry root that Mark Rios sent me a while back. It's about 5 1/2" wide by 4" tall, finished with Tung Oil blend then lacquer. This one has several knots and bark inclusions, and grain going every which way. The wood turned pretty easily wet, but hardened right up once it dried. And even though Mark cleaned the wood very well before sending it, for some reason it smelled like mud when I was turning it green.

I figured I'd take some pics along the way so you all could see the process...

The root, as received...

HF042 - 01 800.jpg HF042 - 02 800.jpg

Trimmed up a little on the bandsaw...

HF042 - 03 800.jpg

Mounted with the screw chuck and live center...

HF042 - 04 800.jpg

Outside taking shape...

HF042 - 05 800.jpg

Wrapping up the rough hollowing...

HF042 - 06 800.jpg

I forgot to take any progress pics while finish turning it, but it looked similar to the picture above, except thinner. Here's the finished piece...

HF042 - 08 800.jpg HF042 - 09 800.jpg HF042 - 10 800.jpg HF042 - 11 800.jpg

Many thanks to Mark for the fun piece of wood. Still haven't decided what the other pieces will be yet. ;-)

Dude, there is a bit hole in the side of that thing, how is it going to hold any M&Ms :huh: :dunno: :D

Very interesting piece, I'm always amazed at how fun some of the ugliest chunks of wood can be, stuff that you would not even toss in to the firewood pile, are often some of the more interesting stuff we see.

Well done! :thumb:

Other than the fact it is likely to leak :eek: it looks as though you were able to get to the root of the issue and bring out the real beauty in the piece. :rofl:

Nice work (as usual) :thumb:

Vaughn,

I can't believe that thing survived the ride. You must be loving that lathe! Very nice piece. Is she going to let you keep it, or is it destined for a show? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Vaughn, beautifully done! Like others said, it's funny how an ugly piece of wood can turn into something so interesting.:thumb:

Vaughn, they are talking about an ugly piece of wood, maybe they are right.
But in my point of view you did a wonderful job, with creating this very nice pot. Okay a hole in the side of the pot, but I see that as a part of the game.
Very well done Vaughn. :thumb:

Vaughn....beautiful piece! How long before the bite marks in your lower lip will go away?.......Or did you just hold your breath while turning that?

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
Vaughn....beautiful piece! How long before the bite marks in your lower lip will go away?.......Or did you just hold your breath while turning that?
This one wasn't all that scary to turn, since there really were no loose pieces threatening to fly off.

I have been told on good authority that this is not a mulberry root, but instead came from a crepe myrtle. Since it already has "Mulberry Root" wood-burned into the bottom of it, whaddaya say we just let this be our little secret? :p