Thread: New Cordless Router!

New Cordless Router!

I decided I needed a cordless router, so I made one! It ain't pretty to look at, but it works quite well (at least in soft pine!!)

Looks like it'll get the job done. That one is simply gorgeous compared to some of the hand planes and such I've made. Won't find no purple wood in any of my tools.
    Jerry

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

That's pretty slick, Ed. I like the use of the eyebolt. I'll have to keep that in mind for other possible applications.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks guys.

The "purple" wood is actually a piece of black walnut fire wood! Lots of checks and cracks, but I found just enough to cobble this together!

Hi Ed ,
    I am keeping an eye on you. This invention is very thought provoking. I am not ready to sell all my corded routers but I think you are onto something! Quite clever and it seems to work just fine.
    Thanks,
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Nelson View Post
    Thanks guys.

The "purple" wood is actually a piece of black walnut fire wood! Lots of checks and cracks, but I found just enough to cobble this together!
    The purple I was referring to was the purple heart so many folks insist on having their Steve Knight planes made with and the proclivity of some folks to want to use purple heart and other fancy woods for making tools.

Firewood salvage, huh? Cool. Air dried walnut is one of my favorites though it is a bit difficult to find around these parts. All the store bought is steamed and kiln dried which kills the color in my opinion. You just don't get that purple from steamed walnut.
    Jerry

"If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."

Cool tool, Ed

Looks like a couple spots you could take off a few "fuzzies" with some sandpaper, but otherwise....Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Palmer View Post
    The purple I was referring to was the purple heart so many folks insist on having their Steve Knight planes made with and the proclivity of some folks to want to use purple heart and other fancy woods for making tools.
    Please a thousand apologies Jerry as I am guilty of that too. Paul Hubbman and I co-worked on his Stanley #140 and for the fence I used Purpleheart. Its a sickness I know and I just could not help myself.

As for the router plane, that is cool. I have a book on home-made and ingenious tools and the router plane has got to be one of the most often hand-built planes out there. I think because as you show, its so easy to do. One of the tools I I hope to make soon is a router plane, but of course use stainless steel!

Paul Hubbman's Plane:

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Travis,
    That looks almost too purty to use.

I tend to use what ever I happen to have in the shop if I need (or want) to make a tool, and since I use a lot of white oak and pecan, lots of stuff I've made is made from that. About the only "exotic" I use often is mesquite, and here's a pic of a French Style Marking Gauge I made.

That is about as fancy as it gets for me unless you want to count the Wenzloff kit saw I made.

]
    Jerry

Great job on the marking gauge and the half back looks great!