Saw Till

Ed Nelson

I needed a saw till for the few hand saws I have. Still needs some modifications for shorter saws, but it is much better than what I had. It also gives me a little space for the planes! I made about 80% with hand tools. Decided not to bother finishing it since I may built a better one (also known as a larger one for more saws!).

IMG_0377.JPG

That should work just fine. I kind of used that same shape for a sandpaper roller rack that I made for work. Its a great shape, without taking up much room and holds what it needs to.

On my hand saw till, I made mine so the handsaws are horizontal to the wall. I am not knocking your design, it is far more elegant then what I got, but since you mentioned making another, I thought I would present an"outside the box" kind of idea in case the horizontal idea may work better for you on your next one. Here is what I have.

Lower_Bench_Area-452x334.jpg

Great idea. You know I can recall having these in our shop back in school, don't know why I never thought of building one. Most of my saws just have a 1" strip cut with a 1/8" dado for the blade fit into and a couple of wires to hold it on. It's always a pain to take them off, this would save a bunch of time when I need to use one.

Travis, your idea is great and if I build the tool cabined I want to make that may be the route I go. It is especially nice if you want to display the etches on the saw blades.

Vaughn, That box on the left is actually my sprinkler control box (not that we can water our lawns yet!:(), the charger for the router is actually a very rare Armstrong model. I like it so much I keep it with me all the time!:rofl:

Darren, this is really a pretty simple project and is a lot of fun. the bottom and back stretcher are dovetailed into the sides (yes, they are hand cut!) and the back set into a rabbet.

Hey Ed, I never thought of the etchings of a saw. You make a valid point there. Right now my shop is still under construction as you can see. Without finished walls this left me in a conundrum. I am a clean freak my nature and love to be organized, but I had to make tool holders and organizers that could be put onto my existing framing and then taken back off and reapplied when my finished walls get put on. Anyway that is where my saw holder came from.

Here is a picture of that sand paper holder which has the same basic shape as your saw till. (The picture was taken at work by the way).

Sandpaper_Holder-small.JPG

Its scary how similar they are in shape though.

I wonder if maybe the horizontal saw holder on your next one will help you out in that area. I am sure you could extend the arms somewhat and mount even more saws. The footprint off the wall would be the same but you could hold more saws???:dunno::dunno::dunno:

Its scary how similar they are in shape though.

I wonder if maybe the horizontal saw holder on your next one will help you out in that area. I am sure you could extend the arms somewhat and mount even more saws. The footprint off the wall would be the same but you could hold more saws???:dunno::dunno::dunno:

Travis, you might want to consider a french clete for all you wall cabs. You could put up a temp one now and remove it when you finish the inside walls and put it right back up. Nice a neat looking and simple.

Just 2 cents

Jimmy

Hi Ed.
I like your saw till very much, I'm on the process of designing a tool cabinet for my shop, and one thing that was stopping me was the way of holding the saws.
With your permission I think that I'm going to copy your system, adapting it to my saws and tools.

Thanks for posting it!:thumb:

Hi Ed.
I like your saw till very much, I'm on the process of designing a tool cabinet for my shop, and one thing that was stopping me was the way of holding the saws.
With your permission I think that I'm going to copy your system, adapting it to my saws and tools.

Thanks for posting it!:thumb:

Toni, you are definitely allowed to copy my till (I think I stole the design idea from someone else!) with one condition. Must have pictures of yours!:p