Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The whole DNA thing?

The whole DNA thing?

O.k. I have read several posts about DNA soaking bowls and such, but......I haven't done it yet. Some questions answered all in one place is in order.

Where is the cheapest place to get 5 gallons?

How long do you let a wrapped bowl dry?

How long do you soak a bowl?

And do you guys actually boil some of them in DNA?

I have used the LDD method but have not sold any of those bowls because they warp a lot and I want to avoid that issue. I realize that warping adds character and so forth, but I want to sell round bowls because I think most customers would respond more positively. (It just doesn't look right to have a premo birdseye maple bowl turn into a taco)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
    O.k. I have read several posts about DNA soaking bowls and such, but......I haven't done it yet. Some questions answered all in one place is in order.
    Where is the cheapest place to get 5 gallons?
    I've been buying a gallon at a time at the local Borg or hardware store. I'll let others chime in on where they've found 5-gallon quantities.

How long do you let a wrapped bowl dry?
    About 3 weeks to a months...I just wait until it feels dry, and not cool to the touch. (Not very scientific, I know, but it seems to work.)

How long do you soak a bowl?
    I usually shoot for about 24 hours, but if I leave i an extra day or so I don't worry about it.

And do you guys actually boil some of them in DNA?
    I've heard of heard that one...seems like it could get real dangerous real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
    I have used the LDD method but have not sold any of those bowls because they warp a lot and I want to avoid that issue. I realize that warping adds character and so forth, but I want to sell round bowls because I think most customers would respond more positively. (It just doesn't look right to have a premo birdseye maple bowl turn into a taco)
    I think regardless of the drying method you use, the wood is gonna warp - some more, and some less. For that reason, a lot of folks leave the walls thicker when they rough turn, then after the piece is dry, the put it back on the lathe and re-turn it round. If you don't leave the walls thick enough, there's not enough wood left to do so.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I am starting to sound like a broken record but go to Dave Smith's information that was posted in the threads. I weigh the bowls as was described in the information. I got my scale at Sams Club (not very expensive). Everything is addressed there-soaking time, wrapping, etc.

I got my denatured alcohol in 5 gal. pails from a local paint shop that gave me a great deal.

Don't boil denatured alcohol!
    Last edited by Barbara Gill; 03-13-2008 at 12:22 PM.
    Barbara

I had meant to mention in my earlier post. Check out the links in posts number 9 and 10 in this thread for a whole lot of information on DNA drying, from a guy who did a lot of experimentation and study on the subject:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ead.php?t=8518
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Boiling DNA?
    Methinks applying heat to alcohol to boil it could be a very risky venture.
    Jim King boils blanks and roughed bowls in water. He has the process down pat. He is a member but doesn't spend much time here. Write him and ask. Nice guy.

I always assumed when someone said they put a bowl or what ever in the DNA to "boil" that was just a type of "slang" for placing in the solution
    my goal in life is to be as good a person as my kids think i am

life is short, even in it's longest days

You have gotten lots of great info. I rough turn the walls to 10% of the bowl diameter. I soak my bowls for 24 to 72 hrs. I then take them out to flash dry. I wrap mine in a brown grocery sack and cut a opening in the bowl part. Place them upside down on a Wal-Mart cooling rack in a cool, dry place without much air flow. I let them dry from 2 to 4 weeks.

Boiling wood in DNA seems like a death wish to me.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post
    I always assumed when someone said they put a bowl or what ever in the DNA to "boil" that was just a type of "slang" for placing in the solution
    Boy, if someone is saying that it could cause some real problems for someone who does not know any better than to try to boil alcohol. Are you sure they were not talking about boiling it in water? Steve Russell presented that method many years ago.
    Barbara

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for your pointers. Oh yah, Boiling alcohol sounded about like trying to smoke gun powder to me. I just thought I'd throw that question in there 'cause I've heard people talking about boiling bowls.

I was under the impression that the alcohal soak resulted in less warpage than some of the other methods. The most concentric bowls I've turned had come out of 3" thick birdseye maple boards that had been air drying for 10+ years. I'm not that patient anymore. (I wasn't a woodworker nor turner when I got those planks)

I just picked up some premo blank material in the last week or two. A friend of mine bought 20 yards of butt cut offs from a high falootan sawmill that processes veneers and figured woods, as well as general hardwoods and sawlogs. Anyway, there was curly cherry, curley maple, walnut, etc. I charged him a sawing tax and got a huge curl maple crotch butt, and a 20" square cherry crotch block. He doesn't have a chainsaw right now and I was just helping him out. I don't wish any of these bowls to warp. Please, please, please. I'll try to post some pictures.

Another note

I am fortunate to have several industrial vacuum pumps. It would seem that pulling a vacuum on a bowl in alcohol would considerably speed up the soak time and ensure complete penetration. I just might have to put a charcol filter in line to keep the alcohol out of the pump. (maybe a worthless precaution)

Maybe a few experiments of soaking, and vacuum drying are in order?