My Version of Clean Air

Hmm, looking at those numbers, two does seem to be a bit of overkill to me. The Jet isn't loud, but especially on high speed you definitely hear it. (I have to crank the radio up quite a bit to hear over it.) Two would make quite a din, I'd think.

Is there perhaps a way you can install a low-speed fan to circulate the air into or out of the 1/3 of the room that is separated by the beam?

Hi Stu and others,

I too have the Jet (actually 2 of them) and have had the same bent or unbalanced impeller issues as previously mentioned. I was able to fix both but, if you want additional smoothness and quiet O suggest you isolate the hanging unit from the mounts by using heavy rubber tie-downs as your hanger supports instead of chain or direct mounting. My shop is in our basement and both units have transmitted vibrations and sound into our living space. Rubber straps completely cancel out this effect.

Also, there was an article published in one of the wood mags (sorry, I don't remember which one and I get about 8) that showed that all of the units they tested performed better (removed most dust) at their lowest setting. It seems that at the higher settings the units tend to blow the dust around more than collect it. The method they used was to release a measured amount of dust into a chamber with the unit with a pan which was weighed before and after the test period to actually determine the amount of dust that wasn't captured by the units tested.

All that said, I do like my units and I get my pre-filters from my local wall-world (paper furnace filters) for about $2 each which is far cheaper than the Jet replacements and the paper filter is much more efficient than the mat pre-filter. Also, given the size of your shop Stu, I think one would be plenty.

Thanks for the info guys, maybe one will do.

I have two of them turbo fans, tornado? air circulation fans and they do work, but I was thinking over kill :D

I guess, as I still have some filters left for the large homemade unit, I'll keep it, and put the new unit near the lathe?

Cheers!

Hi Stu and others,

Also, there was an article published in one of the wood mags (sorry, I don't remember which one and I get about 8) that showed that all of the units they tested performed better (removed most dust) at their lowest setting. It seems that at the higher settings the units tend to blow the dust around more than collect it. The method they used was to release a measured amount of dust into a chamber with the unit with a pan which was weighed before and after the test period to actually determine the amount of dust that wasn't captured by the units tested.

IIRC it was in Either Popwood or Wood some time last year. off the top of my head, and yes, they said that they were better when given time to work, and that they were more efficient when used on low.

stu you will like the jet unit...i run mine all the time i'm in the shop and put it on timer when i leave. i always use the low speed which sounds pretty robust to me. as a matter of fact i've walked around to look at the controls to make sure it was on the lowest setting based on the sound of the fan.

i'm not sure they are shipping the same prefilter as shipped with my unit. but sanding on the lathe fills that filter up quickly. i would not want to change filters every time they're dirty even if they were $2. it's really lathe work that changed that condition. cleaning the exposed end of the standard jet prefilter resulted in the filter medium fuzzing up, being pulled by the shop vac.

i just took delivery of the jds prefilter from amazon for less than $30. it filters to 1 micron, housed in a metal frame with heavy wire reinforcement and can be cleaned with spray detergent and low pressure garden hose. i'm going to like this set up. it fits into the jet loosely but ok, still seals. check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000223XQ

Thanks for the tip about the JDS filter Clark.

I always use the cyclone DC when I'm sanding on the lathe, ALWAYS, and it really sucks up the dust, let me tell you, so I don't expect the lathe to be the largest source of dust, but it is the tool I use the most? :dunno:

The more I think about it, if I did buy two units, I might not know where to put them both :huh:

Even my ceilings are running out of space :eek: