Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 3 bench designs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel
    Posts
    5,533

    3 bench designs

    I'm still at the exteme novice stage with sketchup, but thought you 'veterans' would enjoy seeing three workbench designs by Chris Schwartz which have been rendered by Louis Bortz in Sketchup. The benches have been featured in recent issues of both Popular Woodworking and Woodworking Magazines.

    http://popularwoodworking.com/workbenches
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 03-13-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: too much blood in my caffeine system
    -Ned

  2. #2
    Ned,
    Thanks for the link and heads-up. They look interesting. Are one of these a vision of the future - once the shop has a roof? (Oh, and all the assorted other little details that come with a new building.)

    Dave,
    For us less knowledgeable, what would be making the files so large? The only items that, to my eye, would be hogs are the holes and bench vices. Are there hidden lines etc. in the rectangular sections? I think your offer was quite gracious. Hopefully it was seen in that light.

    Thanks in advance for your insight.

    Wes

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel
    Posts
    5,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bischel View Post
    Ned,
    Thanks for the link and heads-up. They look interesting. Are one of these a vision of the future - once the shop has a roof? (Oh, and all the assorted other little details that come with a new building.)

    Dave,
    For us less knowledgeable, what would be making the files so large? The only items that, to my eye, would be hogs are the holes and bench vices. Are there hidden lines etc. in the rectangular sections? I think your offer was quite gracious. Hopefully it was seen in that light.

    Thanks in advance for your insight.

    Wes

    Wes,
    et tu brutus?



    Maybe, someday... as you pointed out, I've got other more important things to worry about first.

    you mean my old bench won't work?


    actually, since you mention it, it will be modified a bit, to hold my 'new' vise. I'll be shortening it up as well, as it stands almost 42" tall now. or would, if it weren't in pieces.

    Here's a better shot of what I have stored away:


    not your classic neander bench, but nearly 9' of bench once you add it all up.
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 03-13-2008 at 12:47 PM.
    -Ned

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Inside the Beltway
    Posts
    2,666
    Ned,

    I looked at those, and many others when I was building my bench. It's easy and natural to make plans for a nice bench... but it can get expensive, high-falutin', and complicated real fast. The best thing about looking at all the different designs was that I could consider all the various features and doodads, and reject almost all of them when it finally came to making a bench that fit my actual needs and skills. In the end, I went as simple (and cheap) as possible. Brought it in for well under two hundred bucks, and about a weekend worth of work. Someday I'll build a bench like one of those, when I have lots of time, lots of money, and far better skills...

    Thanks,

    Bill

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel
    Posts
    5,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Ned,

    I looked at those, and many others when I was building my bench. It's easy and natural to make plans for a nice bench... but it can get expensive, high-falutin', and complicated real fast. The best thing about looking at all the different designs was that I could consider all the various features and doodads, and reject almost all of them when it finally came to making a bench that fit my actual needs and skills. In the end, I went as simple (and cheap) as possible. Brought it in for well under two hundred bucks, and about a weekend worth of work. Someday I'll build a bench like one of those, when I have lots of time, lots of money, and far better skills...

    Thanks,

    Bill

    Bill,
    same here, as you can see in my follow on post. I thought the sketchup folks would enjoy seeing the designs though. My someday bench will be a maple topped affair, in my Next shop. This one will house my current bench modified just a little to accept my new vise.
    -Ned

  6. #6
    Thanks Dave. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong - which I was. I use groups too much. I'll need to remember to make components.

    Ned, I'm just the pot calling the kettle black!

    Wes

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel
    Posts
    5,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bischel View Post
    Thanks Dave. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong - which I was. I use groups too much. I'll need to remember to make components.

    Ned, I'm just the pot calling the kettle black!

    Wes
    no worries Wes, I've earned the ribbing. and I'm laughing, trust me!
    -Ned

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cedar Park, TX
    Posts
    320
    Just downloaded the Ruobo bench and you're right, Dave. Bogs my day-job machine way down.

    One day I may build me a big bench like those, but it will be a combo of different ideas from several benches, enhancements of stuff useful for the way I work, while eliminating stuff that for me would be just so much foo foo.
    Last edited by Jerry Palmer; 03-13-2008 at 03:11 PM.
    Jerry

    http://www.sawdustersplace.com

    "If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cedar Park, TX
    Posts
    320
    Although at least two of them came out of old texts, I believe all three are included in Chris' recent workbench book. I've got it and the best part, as far as I'm concerned, is the stuff on actually using benches and their accessories to hold the work being done.
    Jerry

    http://www.sawdustersplace.com

    "If politics wasn't built on careful deception it wouldn't need its own word and techniques. It would just be called honesty, education, and leadership."
    Bob "Phydeaux" Stewart one day on Woodnet

Similar Threads

  1. Simplifying designs...
    By Ryan Mooney in forum Designs, Plans and Sketches
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-15-2016, 05:31 AM
  2. Interesting Furniture Designs
    By Vaughn McMillan in forum Designs, Plans and Sketches
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-12-2013, 04:46 AM
  3. table designs for the web site
    By Dan Noren in forum Designs, Plans and Sketches
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 12:25 PM
  4. Shed Doors designs
    By Joe Scharbrough in forum Carpentry and Construction
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 04:48 PM
  5. Laminations to get contrasting designs
    By Ken Close in forum General Woodworking Q&A
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 02:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •