3 bench designs

Ned,
Thanks for the link and heads-up. They look interesting. Are one of these a vision of the future - once the shop has a roof? (Oh, and all the assorted other little details that come with a new building.):doh::D

Dave,
For us less knowledgeable, what would be making the files so large? The only items that, to my eye, would be hogs are the holes and bench vices. Are there hidden lines etc. in the rectangular sections? I think your offer was quite gracious. Hopefully it was seen in that light.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Wes

Ned,
Thanks for the link and heads-up. They look interesting. Are one of these a vision of the future - once the shop has a roof? (Oh, and all the assorted other little details that come with a new building.):doh::D

Dave,
For us less knowledgeable, what would be making the files so large? The only items that, to my eye, would be hogs are the holes and bench vices. Are there hidden lines etc. in the rectangular sections? I think your offer was quite gracious. Hopefully it was seen in that light.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Wes

Wes,
et tu brutus?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Maybe, someday... as you pointed out, I've got other more important things to worry about first.

you mean my old bench won't work?
mycurrentmess.jpg

actually, since you mention it, it will be modified a bit, to hold my 'new' vise. I'll be shortening it up as well, as it stands almost 42" tall now. or would, if it weren't in pieces.

Here's a better shot of what I have stored away:
rightbench.jpg

not your classic neander bench, but nearly 9' of bench once you add it all up.

Last edited:
Ned,

I looked at those, and many others when I was building my bench. It's easy and natural to make plans for a nice bench... but it can get expensive, high-falutin', and complicated real fast. The best thing about looking at all the different designs was that I could consider all the various features and doodads, and reject almost all of them when it finally came to making a bench that fit my actual needs and skills. In the end, I went as simple (and cheap) as possible. Brought it in for well under two hundred bucks, and about a weekend worth of work. Someday I'll build a bench like one of those, when I have lots of time, lots of money, and far better skills... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Ned,

I looked at those, and many others when I was building my bench. It's easy and natural to make plans for a nice bench... but it can get expensive, high-falutin', and complicated real fast. The best thing about looking at all the different designs was that I could consider all the various features and doodads, and reject almost all of them when it finally came to making a bench that fit my actual needs and skills. In the end, I went as simple (and cheap) as possible. Brought it in for well under two hundred bucks, and about a weekend worth of work. Someday I'll build a bench like one of those, when I have lots of time, lots of money, and far better skills... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,
same here, as you can see in my follow on post. I thought the sketchup folks would enjoy seeing the designs though. My someday bench will be a maple topped affair, in my Next shop. This one will house my current bench modified just a little to accept my new vise.

Thanks Dave. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong - which I was.:rolleyes: I use groups too much. I'll need to remember to make components.

Ned, I'm just the pot calling the kettle black!

Wes

Just downloaded the Ruobo bench and you're right, Dave. Bogs my day-job machine way down.

One day I may build me a big bench like those, but it will be a combo of different ideas from several benches, enhancements of stuff useful for the way I work, while eliminating stuff that for me would be just so much foo foo.

Last edited:
Although at least two of them came out of old texts, I believe all three are included in Chris' recent workbench book. I've got it and the best part, as far as I'm concerned, is the stuff on actually using benches and their accessories to hold the work being done.