Your Spring "BUILD" list?

Well, I am hoping that April can be Shop Fixup month.

I need to rewire some lights.I currently have 4 4' shop lights up. I found about 16 can lights for $30 and will install some of those for task lighting.

Then install insulation in the ceiling and throw some OSB up and maybe paint it.

Then design and build mobility into my planer, jointer and drill press.

If time permits build a better CMS station.

In May I will start on some projects. Priority items are 2 keepsake boxes for my Mother and Sister.

After that I think I should start on some Christmas presents so they will only be a couple months late next year:eek:

But, most importantly is just being in the shop.

Plan? You guys plan?

Sigh, okay then

- small end table (dry fit last night, so give it a week yet)
- bedroom nightstand (might be pushed back later)
- tall dresser for son #2 (another of these.)
- sports/toy equip organizer for garage
- probably some other book shelf/end-table thingy for the LR
- whatever else strikes my fancy

(oh yeah, that order is subject to change, guaranteed)

Alas, poor Stu. We knew him when he used other tools beside the spinny thing. He's completely gone 'round the bend. I remember when he posted plans for cigar cabinets and the likes for the shop. But does he even look at flat work any more??? sigh. :rolleyes: :dunno:

Well, I thought this a list of things we WANTED to do...... :D :rofl:

Well here is my list. In my priority order (of course, LOML will have new projects and fix where I have gotten the priority wrong :dunno:)

1. Build plantation shutters for the home office.
2. Build a storage unit to store misc hardware.
3. Build a tool storage unit to help with the shop organization.
4. Get a chance to do some more bowl turning.
5. Build a new cabinet for the router table.

Another sculpted coffe table
A chest of drawers
Finish setting up the workshop

And in summer holydays a door for a wine cellar at my parent's in law place.

If at least two of those is finished by the end of the year I'll be quite satisfyed

So what is on your Spring Build List? I complied mine and frankly I was surprised at all the things that are on my list. Granted all of them probably won't get done. Most maybe.

So then on Jun 21 will you post the "spring build completed" thread ... :rofl::wave:

Of course, my list contained things that I expect to start in the spring. Dunno how many will be finished in the spring... :doh:

Maple bookshelf for my daughter to match her bed and night stand I built a couple years ago now. I promised her that would be my next project.

Finish her toolbox, also promised to her. It just needs sanding, finish applied, and

Finish the silverware tray I started in the Chris Schwarz dovetail class I took over the weekend. Its actually going to require pretty much starting over due to mistakes and more so because I chipped one of the tails where it will be quite visible and not easily fixable, but I'm going to finish cutting and fitting the pieces I have for practice, then cut new ones for real.

Bookshelf for my mom, which will be different because she wants it painted, but I've recommended using colored Target USL so we don't have the sticking problem paint gets and so that it will be more easily repaired in the future.

Paint our master bedroom, maybe flooring if we can decide what we want and afford it. Which leads to builidng a closet system for the closets. We've had the paint since last fall.

Spring yard cleanup, which is a major job with 10 acres. I'll probably fill a trash can with windblown debris, need to roll down a few acres of mole hills, etc. I'm not planning any big landscape projects this year though so it should take a little less time than past years where I did major projects.

I also have some welding projects I want to do.

My projects

My personal projects for the spring:

Complete back-bar cabinets for the permanent bamboo trimmed "Tiki Bar" my wife wanted built in the basement. (Counter top, mirror, side-shelves too) front bar is complete.

Build a bank of cabinets to add to the kitchen.

There's a lot more, but these are the "must-do's" for the spring.

As i'm new here i thought i'd reply to this post.
#1 on list build finish room on to shop. just picked up materal from a remodel i'm working on.have enough to build a 12 x 14 addition.
#2get better on my lathe
#3 build new desk for den southwestern desigh(cherokee theme)
#4 re build trailer bed
#5 anything wife or boys want
should clean up my 6 acres but that's way down on my list, as no one will see it but the squirrels and deer.:)

Of course, my list contained things that I expect to start in the spring. Dunno how many will be finished in the spring... :doh:

I like Art's approach! Start in the spring, end... ? :D
For me:

Move storage shed from too-near-house to back of yard near current stockade fence; move azaleas and grasses- without killing them- to accommodate relocate (that should have been considered when the shed arrived last fall... measure once, cut twice ;)).

Build new trellises for vining plants in garden.

Build from bamboo: low fencing for around backyard pond and to mask ugly basement staircase; giant windchimes to look like Asian houses to frame front porch at wind-blown side (love the sound!).

Teach myself to build at least one large metal freeform sculpture for backyard that will move and play music in the wind (if you saw the movie "Twister," you know what I mean).

Price out about 60 feet of stockade fence to be installed when my long-time neighbors move and sell their house to relatives of the people who live across the street. :( *sigh*

--MJ, bizzy-bizzy...

Forgot something: cut down obnoxious, spiny-leaved holly tree and donate rounds to a local woodworker. :) I picked up some cedar last year, but he didn't want it... so I will use in my firepit as it's coming on a year since I picked up the wood.

The Beagles will be thrilled to see the holly go. ;)

So will the Beagles' caretaker. ;) ;)

--MJ

Last edited:
1. I swore I was going to build all of the shop jigs that I've needed.
Just finished a crosscut sled and working on a 45*miter sled. (this has been the last 3 years :eek:)

2. Fireplace mantle and surround
3. Blanket chest for one of the daughters
4. Tool storage/router enclosure for under the table saw wing
5. Rebuild an antique rocking chair that belonged to my great aunt, for my mother.
6. Build a couple of chair tables for the family room
7. The list goes on and on... :doh:

Russ

My list for things to make are:
10 more window frames for the shop

4 knock down rocking chairs that the wife will give as gifts

several cabinets for the new shop

New cario cabinet for the wife( this will replace the first one I made that is less then attractive):rolleyes:

Finish my sons bed

Build bed for the wife

Other then this I have nothing to do.:rofl: