Thread: Maple Hollow Forms

Maple Hollow Forms

This is a set of three maple hollow forms. The walls and base are 1/4" or thinner, but the tops are tappered as I don't have my "hook" hollower done yet. The largest is 6" tall and 6" at its widest point and the smaller ones are both about 4.5" tall and wide. Finish is Watco danish oil, I think I will buff them out to get a little better shine on them. By far my best finish to date though. Comments and critiques are encouraged.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3HF.JPG  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Jeff those are beauties. Well done. If you buff them make sure you let it dry for a week or so. I buffed mine a day or two after I thought they were dry and had to start over.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very cool Jeff, never saw this before with a top like that. Yes, I like it, it's great

Thanks, Ad and Bernie. Thanks for the buffing tip too Bernie. I've only buffed a few pieces and they were over 3 months old. These are new and the finish would have been ruined.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Interesting treatment. I like. Well done.

Nicely done, Jeff. Good job on keeping the bark intact on the outer edge of the tops.

Critique-wise, I think a smaller foot diameter would look nice, and it would give you more room to develop more of a curve on the sides (if that's the look you want). That's just one person's opinion though...you're doing great and progressing nicely.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I can honestly say I have never seen hollow forms like these - I think they are great! I think a lot of folks would really like them just because they are so unique! Nice work Jeff! Always happy to see something truly original!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Critique-wise, I think a smaller foot diameter would look nice, and it would give you more room to develop more of a curve on the sides (if that's the look you want). That's just one person's opinion though...you're doing great and progressing nicely.
    Vaughn, thanks for the critique and complement. I was actually going for the look I got. I thought a curved bottom would look weird with the straight cuts on the bark.

Steve, thanks for your inspiration!

Frank, thank you and when are we going to see some of your work from your new lathe???
    My Website