Maple Hollow Forms

Jeff Bower

This is a set of three maple hollow forms. The walls and base are 1/4" or thinner, but the tops are tappered as I don't have my "hook" hollower done yet. The largest is 6" tall and 6" at its widest point and the smaller ones are both about 4.5" tall and wide. Finish is Watco danish oil, I think I will buff them out to get a little better shine on them. By far my best finish to date though. Comments and critiques are encouraged.

Attachments

• 3HF.JPG
    3HF.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 69
Jeff those are beauties. Well done. If you buff them make sure you let it dry for a week or so. I buffed mine a day or two after I thought they were dry and had to start over.:(:eek:

Very cool Jeff, never saw this before with a top like that. Yes, I like it, it's great :thumb:

Thanks, Ad and Bernie. Thanks for the buffing tip too Bernie. I've only buffed a few pieces and they were over 3 months old. These are new and the finish would have been ruined. :eek:

Nicely done, Jeff. :thumb: Good job on keeping the bark intact on the outer edge of the tops.

Critique-wise, I think a smaller foot diameter would look nice, and it would give you more room to develop more of a curve on the sides (if that's the look you want). That's just one person's opinion though...you're doing great and progressing nicely.

I can honestly say I have never seen hollow forms like these - I think they are great! I think a lot of folks would really like them just because they are so unique! Nice work Jeff! Always happy to see something truly original!

Critique-wise, I think a smaller foot diameter would look nice, and it would give you more room to develop more of a curve on the sides (if that's the look you want). That's just one person's opinion though...you're doing great and progressing nicely.

Vaughn, thanks for the critique and complement. I was actually going for the look I got. I thought a curved bottom would look weird with the straight cuts on the bark.

Steve, thanks for your inspiration!

Frank, thank you and when are we going to see some of your work from your new lathe???