Thread: Chuck question

Chuck question

Hey guys I have a quick question about chucks. When looking through some other posts, I saw Vaughn mention the PSI Barracuda2 chuck at amazon. They also offer it with the Jumbo Jaws for about $170 and I think I might order this through amazon today. But I have a Craftsman 15" lathe and before I got it as a gift, to be honest I didn't even know that they made a lathe. It doesn't seem like this is a common lathe that everyone has so my question would be are all the threads universal on lathes? Will this chuck work for my lathe? Any help would be great. I don't want to order the thing then when I get it find out it doesn't fit or thread

Oh, forgot to mention, does the chuck just have a tapered end to fit into my lathe? This is probably the answer and makes much more sense, man do I feel dumb But I can't tell by the pics so I'm unsure. Thanks guys!

Westley, Vaughn should be commenting here very soon. He had a 15" Craftsman before his mustard lathe. I'm pretty sure the Barracuda 2 comes standard with a 1X8 TPI adapter and I think your lathe has that size of spindle as well, not sure though.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Actually, you got it right the first time!

The chuck will screw on to the threads. You just have to match the threads when you order the chuck. I am not familiar with your lathe, but you should be able to find out the threads per inch easy enough and then just order the same threaded chuck. I only know about the Oneway Talon chucks and you order the chuck and a separate threaded insert for your particular lathe. You might want to consider something like this if you think you may change lathes in the future. That way you only need a different insert and can use the same chuck.

Westly, Jeff pretty much nailed it. The PSI chuck has 1" x 8tpi threads, which is the same size as the 15" Craftsman lathe. (Chucks screw onto the threads on the end of the lathe spindle. The tapered part of the spindle - the hole at the end - really doesn't come into play on a chuck.)

There are several "standard" spindle and thread sizes in the lathe market. The 1" x 8tpi is common in a lot of smaller lathes...the Jet Mini is one of them. Others, like my Powermatic have a 1 1/4" x 8tpi thread, and there are a few other common sizes floating around. If you get the PSI chuck, it's threaded to fit the 1" x 8tpi spindle on your lathe. (It also comes with an adaptor to fit smaller 3/4" spindles, but you won't be needing it.) Unfortunately, it doesn't have an adaptor to fit other sizes. The higher end chucks like those from Oneway and Teknatool have a whole range of adaptors you can get, but the PSI is limited to just the 1" and 3/4" sizes. Still, it's a good chuck for the money.

I hope this helps -
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn, and everyone else, sure does help! I'll be ordering it today! Thanks again guys

Westly, I am contemplating buying the 'Cudda chuck also. But do check out Amazon. They sell many of the PSI products at lower prices. And last time I checked (a couple weeks ago) they had the 'Cudda 3 on sale. PSI is now offering the new Barracuda 4, of course, at more money. Check the features. I don't know if the 4 is so much an improved model that it is a 'must have' compared to the 3. Same time, I don't know that it isn't. If you can save $50.00 or so, that money can go for something else really important. Like taking that cute girl in the picture with you out to dinner.

I have no experience with this particular chuck. If it were me, I would go for a chuck that you can change out the insert when you upgrade. In the spinning world, upgrading is not uncommon. You will have to add an spindle adapter in order to continue to use it. The adapter is expensive, as high as $60 and it may also introduce run out. Just like clamp, you can never have enough chucks.
    http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st..._adapter?Args=
    A chuck insert is usually much cheaper. A Pinnacle chuck insert from Woodcraft is only $5. Other inserts for brand name chucks are usually between $20 to $30.
    Gordon

If you decide to go with the Barracuda2 and eventually upgrade to a bigger lathe with a larger spindle, you can purchase a spindle adpater from PSI for $20 that will adapt a 1 1/4X8 spindle to a 1X8. It makes your spindle stick out a bit, maybe 1/1/2", but it works pretty well.

Of course, when you finally get a bigger lathe, you may be ready to upgrade your chuck, also, so you can sell your Barracuda2 on eBay and get most of your money back.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Westley good chuck and yes it will screw right on the C-man lathe. I still have my 15" C-man and is running pretty good.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.