Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Grinder Wheels

New Grinder Wheels

The first time I put new grinder wheels on the slow speed 8" grinder, I went with the OneWay wheels, a #80 and a #120. They were very good, no complaints, but this time around, I went with the Norton 3X wheels, this time a #46 and #80. I found that the #120 wheel was not of much use, it loaded up a LOT in use, and I found I did not use it much.

I did use the heck out of the Oneway wheels, they ended up being 6" in diameter, so I certainly did get my money out of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	two_6_inch_wheels.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	18637
    The old wheels, just about 6" now.

Name:	new_old_wheels_comparo.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	18638
    To show the amount of wheel that has been ground off.

Name:	new_norton_wheel.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	18639
    Here is one of the new wheels.

One thing I did notice about these wheels is that I had to move the balancing nuts a lot further off the center to get them balanced, than the Oneway wheels, does that matter

Nice to have new wheels!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks for the info Stu. I was thinking of the Norton wheels also. I found the same thing that my 120 wheel did load a lot. I had to true it all the time. Let me know what you think of the new wheels.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Stu, I have the one-way balancing system (beautiful way to balance your wheels!) along with the Norton 3X, 80 and 120 wheels. Obviously, not being a turner, I don’t dress the wheels anywhere near as often as you do, but I have found the 80 and 120 wheels perfect for touching up endmill’s, tool bits for the lathe, and sharpening drill bits. Carbide eats them up rather quickly though, I need a diamond grinder…
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Bernie, I used the wheels a little, and they seem to work fine, but I'll keep you updated.

Bruce, I've got that Oneway balancing set up as well, it sure was worth the money, my cheap Woodcraft slow speed grinder, runs nice and smooth!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

The wear on that wheel is amazing. I have inherited grinders that are older than I am and the current size is probably not measurably smaller than the original 8". I just measured my Camel brand, Israeli made, 80 grit blue, 8" wheel from WC. It is six years old, used daily and still measures a full 8". As said, the carbide must be very hard on your wheels. Methinks, for carbide, one would get diamond grit wheels. Expensive, but, what the hey, who worries about money?

Carbide???

I use it to sharpen my lathe tools, which are all HSS.

Thing is Frank, I sharpen all the time, I work mainly hard wood, the "Zelkova" and it dulls the tools quickly, also, to be fair, I was doing a lot of learning on those first wheels, so

I've got my jigs built and my technique down now that I'm sure the new wheels will last a lot longer.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    The old wheels, just about 6" now.

What you need now is a second grinder, one that uses 6" wheels.

Stuart, I think you don't need a balancing set so much on a slow speed grinder, isn't it.
    Also I thought that you would go for a belt grinder sometimes, or am I wrong.

Ad

Stu, I was about to order a pair of wheels from Oneway. Am I correct in assuming that you'd recommend the coarser wheels? What grit do you recommend? Or should I wait until you've tested the Norton wheels more extensively?
    Thanks for the information, Stu! Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Carbide???

I use it to sharpen my lathe tools, which are all HSS.

Thing is Frank, I sharpen all the time, I work mainly hard wood, the "Zelkova" and it dulls the tools quickly, also, to be fair, I was doing a lot of learning on those first wheels, so

I've got my jigs built and my technique down now that I'm sure the new wheels will last a lot longer.
    I'll still stick with the "amazing" part. Considering that I have these 80 year old wheels my father used in his professional shop, then home shop before I got them and they are still 8", the wear on yours is definitely "amazing".