chop saw stand?

I hope I put this in the right forum if not feel free to move it to the correct one. Has anyone made a portable chop saw stand that doesn't weigh a ton. I know there are hundreds of models produced but looking for ideas to build one for myself. I want something small and compact but also strong and lightweight. I have woodworking skills as well as metalworking so I'm open to any and all ideas.
Virgil

I moved it to New Tools Virgil. I think it fits better here.

I don't have any good suggestions for you. The problem is building light, this situation is one where pre-made metal stand might be a better choice. I could see making a very light weight one out of wood and reinforcing it with fiberglass but thats pretty overkill.

Maybe someone more clever than me has an idea.

Hi Virgil,

Your post reminded me of this video on Shopnotes website http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/097/videos/before-and-after-shop-upgrade/ it's not a chop saw stand but if you use the style of contruction of the end cabinets, you could end up with something that very sturdy and lightweight.

After that you could add folding wings to support the material and casters(with brakes) to move it around you also get something that stores easily.

I've got a small shop and mostly use my miter saw for contract work and remodeling, everything else gets cut on the table saw. I also do metal working as a hobby.

I ended up buying the mobile base from Harbor Freight. and I've got my miter saw and my metal chop saw mounted on 5/8 mdf. I can use the base for either and can fold up the base and store it on the shelf above the saws. Can also mount the saw needed and roll it to the job.

job site stand

Thanks for the replys and thank you Jeff for moving this to the correct forum. I really like what Darren and Glenn has. To me the satisfaction I get from making something means more to me than what I could purchase. I'm looking for a homemade stand that I can take to a job site. I have a dedicated Makita chop saw in the shop but have a 12" dewalt that I take to the job sites. I was thinking either heavy wall conduit or square tubing (sort of like a reese hitch) where I could make adjustable lengths for different lengths of materials. Being able to fold it up and wheels would be really nice. Maybe I should swipe a few pics with my camera phone or maybe someone could post some pics of different angle shots that I could use. As my dear old Granddad once said to me, "no matter what you need, you can make it yourself" and he was so right. It might not look the greatest but as long as it does the job safely.
Virgil Huffman