Picture frames - Amatorski methods

Niki Avrahami

In Memoriam
Good day

My wife ordered another 3 picture frames (I made 2 a few days ago) and I decided to take a few pics so you can see my "Amatorski" working methods.

Still, I have to make rabbets for the glass and back-cover, and mortise (Well, groove) for loose tenon.

One frame if made of Lauan and the other two, of Oak because...that's what I found in the garage attic...

The main problem is, that she don't want me to use any finish or as she said "natural wood" and that makes a little bit of a problem with mistakes so, I hope that all the mistakes will be at the back part of the frame...

Regards
niki

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Niki...

Thanks for the photos. Picture frames are one of the things I like to do as well, so I enjoyed seeing your methods. My miter sled is similar to yours. I've discovered as you have that if the sled corner is 90 and corners are cut one on each side of the blade then any problems with blade alignment, etc., are compensated for and the thing goes together beautifully. Although reaction wood could account for the pinching you experienced on the rip, it could also be improper drying, particularly if they were kiln dried. Too fast a drying schedule causes internal stresses to be set up (sometimes this is called case hardening), and if steps aren't taken to relieve them they show up when the board is cut (the relief is done at the kiln, not in the shop...basically they moisten the exterior of the boards in the stacks (with steam), which relieves the stresses, then re-dry them). But sometimes in the rush to get product to market this is improperly done. My experience is they usually go sproing once, and if you can then get them dimensioned satisfactorily after that they're okay. Reaction wood is another story...tends to be an ongoing problem.

Thanks again for the pics.
Cheers.

Thank you so much

Ed
thanks for the lesson about the reaction wood. It happened to me first time in the hobby...

This particular board was left here by the guy that made the stairs in my house some 4 years ago so it cannot be "wet wood" but as you explained, improper drying.

All the Oak that I bought till now from the villagers, is air dried for at list 7 years and I never had any problem with it.

Oh, about the sled...the sled construction and cutting method (left - right) are not new....the innovation is the "locator" that acts as a stop without the need to put stops, say, 3' behind...I hope that you noticed the "locator" method...they gave me the "Fein MultiMaster top" for that...:)

Regards
niki

thanks niki for another trip threw your world,, saw it this ama t work couldnt wait to get a slow look at it tonight.. didnt understand why you cut as locator till i saw it in action.. is that blade guard a aftyer market setup? saw a similar guard in a book the other day not for sale being used on his saw.. could use one of them myself if i had supplier near here thanks again niki

Thank you Larry

The blade guard is original and came with the saw (the safety laws in EU demands that the blade guard will be easily remove/installed and include dust port).

This table saw is "Metabo" and I think that you have one type of saw also in USA...all the Metabo blade guards are the same for all the models..
http://www.metabousa.com/metabo/hal...dukte/tablesaws/tablesawts250_0102502042.html
maybe you can contact them and ask about the blade guard.

Oh yes, you are correct about the Fein Multimaster...it's getting more and more useful...

Regards
niki

Niki...

Actually I glossed over the location method on your sled. Thanks for pointing it out...looks like a great idea. I hope you don't mind if I borrow it.

I like your triangles, too. Gives it an interesting look. Do you also cut the mats?

Cheers.

Hi Ed

The triangles are the off-cuts of the frame members and by putting them on the corners, I just wanted to show the squareness of the frame but you are correct, it gives some interesting ideas but, I shall have to talk to the "designer" (my wife) about it.

Yes, I already cut the mats...actually, it's just a thick cardboard because the picture is going to occupy all the space... and tomorrow, I'm going to buy and cut the glass for 5 frames.

Regards
niki