Square Flat Boards

Bartee Lamar

I know that it does not sound like much, but I learned a lot in the shop Saturday.

I have to re-make the drawer IMG_1718.jpg for the table that will not get finished.

So I really used my new, barely used 8" jointer, with spiral cutter. And my dewalt lunch box planer.

I made new parts for the drawer and made two test pieces with exact same dimensions.

When I got done I stacked up the 4 parts IMG_1758.jpgand realized that I have never really had flat, square parts. I am sure this will make a difference on my Leigh D4R and half blinds dovetails.

This is just a really good lesson. It is ALL about EXPERIENCE !!! The more you do, the more you learn and the more you realize that you have more to learn.

So, the next shop day will be setting up and testing half-blind DT joints until I get it right. then I will remake the drawer, hopefully with a better results.

"and made two test pieces with exact same dimensions.... I have never really had flat, square parts. "

Congrats, Bartee! That's a big step!

Some day I'll be able to do the same. Maybe not in this life, but someday... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

...This is just a really good lesson. It is ALL about EXPERIENCE !!! The more you do, the more you learn and the more you realize that you have more to learn...
Not trying to sound like an old sage or anything ('cause I surely ain't), but... I like to say that I'm finally old enough to know how much I don't know. When I say that to the men in my daughters lives, they look at me funny:(

Ah, that moment when you realize that you can now make the board that you need. Congrats. Being able to mill accurate lumber for projects completly changed my approach to how I build things. Enjoy.

Recognizing the need to improve is as important as figuring out exactly how to improve. It's pretty much the same in any discipline from woodworking to underwater basket-weaving.

Good lesson to share indeed. Thanks. :thumb: