Quickly done..... *Update* With Video!!

Stuart Ablett

I have a whole bunch of smaller chunks of wood I got recently, which you can read about >> HERE << and I noticed that some of them were starting to crack a bit, so I thought I'd best get cracking on roughing them out.

I've got it down to just a little over 10 mintues each from chunk of wood, to slipping it into the DNA bath.....

small_quick_bowl_1.JPG
I start with a chunk of wood

small_quick_bowl_2.JPG
Mount it via the worm screw on the chuck

small_quick_bowl_3.JPG
Get out my super flute beating stick and have at,
this is done mostly at about 1000 RPM or higher, as the faster the cut the less time it takes to do....

small_quick_bowl_4.JPG
Bang, outside done!

small_quick_bowl_5.JPG
Boom, inside done

small_quick_bowl_6.JPG
Ready for a DNA bath! :D

small_quick_bowl_mess.JPG
While it may be quick, it still makes a mess! :doh:

I did about 20 last night and I'll be doing a bunch more today, I know they are not fine works of art etc, but they are certainly good practice. I also did some in the reverse orientation, so they came out as Natural Edge bowls.

I hope to be able to give some away, and maybe even sell some :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
Good job! They would have taken me about an evening each. I am amazed at what you get done in The Dungeon.:thumb:

Ding, dang, bam, boom, I wouldn't do that so fast Stu, but I guess you have more experience in turning bowls than I have, I always take my time and like it to take inbetween a run to the kitchen for another cup of coffee.
Anyway it looks very good to me.

Yep, about a dozen are done, I have maybe another 6 or 8 dozen to go :eek:

Bernie, yep, got the Oneway live center, it is one nice piece of equipment :thumb:

Pete, I use the tailstock with the worm screw, because I find roughing them out, they can wiggle a bit without it.

Cheers!

Stu,

I first started following your posts on "another forum." I'm so glad that I've hooked on to this one. You and your videos are incredibly informative, always good natured, and truly a delight. Do you ever get to go to the mountainous areas of Japan? They have some pretty impressive trees out there.... I was an East Asian Historian in another life and visited East Asia innumerable times.
Luck, Hilel.

Hi Hilel :wave:

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I get out to the country, not as much as I did before, I used to do a lot of motorcycle touring.............

brilliant_red_bikes2.jpg

My apologies to the folks on dial ups :eek:

Glad to see you have found us here at Family Woodworking!!:thumb:

The lighting is much improved. The aspect ratio still looks squished, though. Are you recording in wide-screen format? From the looks of things, you are, and then it's getting squeezed when displayed on YouTube. Either that, or you've got an oval chuck. :D

The lighting is much improved. The aspect ratio still looks squished, though. Are you recording in wide-screen format? From the looks of things, you are, and then it's getting squeezed when displayed on YouTube. Either that, or you've got an oval chuck. :D

I think I remember him buying and oval chuck from his french friend.:D

OK, OK, I got the lighting better, but the aspect ratio is screwed up............. I'll blame the software :D

dna_soaked.JPG
Here are some of the smaller NE rough outs just out of the DNA bath, I think I have over 30 wrapped up drying now.....

I also got into the Keyaki haul I had at about the same time, from one smaller log, I got these........

7_keyaki_rough_outs.JPG

I have to say, this wet (18% moisture content) Keyaki sure turns nice! :D :wave:

Cheers!