wooddust

ken lutes

I am new to the site but had a question if you dont mind. I have a dc system on most of larger tools (jointer, table saw, Planer etc) I do not recirculate the air, the dc systems exhaust in an outside room (4' by 8') My questions is what type of dust mask or respirators do most of you wear when stirring up wood dust from sanding etc.? Also how many of you also have extra air filter systems and how well do they work for you. I have really enjoyed your site hope to learn a lot form you all. Thanks

My shop is 23 x 29... besides the two 1200 cfm and two 650 cfm collectors feeding various equipment, I have two squirrel cage air cleaners hanging from the ceiling, one on each side of the shop. I also have a whole house fan taken from a forced air heating system set up in one of the windows which when turned on will exhaust fumes and airborne dust pretty well if I keep the door open on the other side of the shop so air can get in as it exhausts. That one also helps when I'm applying lots of Danish oil finish for example, as it takes the fumes out of the shop. Even with all this nonsense though, I still use a canister filter air mask when sanding a lot of pieces at a time in front of one of the sanders as even with the best dc systems hooked to a 6x48 belt sander for example, you're not going to get it all and there will be a cloud of very fine particles in the air around the sander in no time. It's those very fine particles that are the bad guys when it comes to your lungs.

I run a DC, an ambient cleaner and wear an AO Safety Woodworker's Respirator #95190. Separately and in combinations as required by the activity.

Last edited:
I use pretty much everything Glenn mentioned. I have a 1 1/2 hp Harbor Freight DC with a cartridge filter, a Jet Air ambient air filter (although it's less than a week old), and I have the AO Safety respirator Glenn mentioned. I also use a Trend Airshield filtered facemask for some of my woodturning exploits. I use various combinations of all these, depending on the task. Since your question mentions respirators, I'll recommend the AO Safety model Glenn and I both use. It's WAY better than the little paper "dust masks" they sell right next to them in the store, and the filter refills are economical. Before I had a DC or the Trend, I got a lot of miles out of the AO respirator. I still wear it when I know I'm going to be buried in dust...like blowing out the shop dust with an air hose or cleaning the DC.

hey greg how do you like the 50-760? wood magazine rated it #1 in under $400 dust collectors in last months issue. i was thinking about getting one. is there anything you dont like about it? also what size pipes do you run with it?

The only time I use a dust mask (Binks Millenium 3000) is when hand sanding. If I use a ROS I have it connected to a vacuum and it doesn't create any noticeable dust. If my shop gets dusty I just leave my main dust collector running and it cleans the air within 30-60 minutes depending on how dusty it is to start. I return the filtered air into my shop.

Greg

Mike,

I really like it....especially since it was a floor model Lowes put on deep discount...:eek: I'm using 4" hose to my table saw right now, but I think 5" (the size of the main input connector) is better. I have not been able to find 5" hose reasonably priced as of yet, but I'm still looking. The 1 micron filter bag is really nice.

wall mounted dust collector?

Ive been looking around this site for info on dustcollecting.

I cant take it anymore, and I only work out of my garage, with door always open.
I use an old shop vac and attach it to tablesaw, router, Crosscut saw as I use them, works well, but very time consuming, and very noisy.

does anyone know of any decent dust collecting system I can wall mount, I dont need a very powerful system, and I dont want to spend a fortune.
Any help would be appreciated.