English Walnut HF

Curt Fuller

This is a Hollow Form from a piece of English Walnut crotch. 9" x 5.5", finished with danish oil and lacquer.

EnglishWalnutHF1.jpg

EnglishWalnutHF2.jpg

Boy Curt, that is sweet, lots going on in there.

Did you rough turn this one green, soak it, dry it and return it to the lathe to finish turn it?

I'm wondering about the end grain piths I see, I have a few hollow forms drying that also have such piths, and I'm kind of worried about them cracking etc... :dunno:

Cheers!

That's beautiful, Curt. I'm partial to English walnut. I find it more pleasing than black walnut with it's "blond" tones. It's not an easy (for me anyway) timber to come across.

Thanks for sharing:)

Boy Curt, that is sweet, lots going on in there.

Did you rough turn this one green, soak it, dry it and return it to the lathe to finish turn it?

I'm wondering about the end grain piths I see, I have a few hollow forms drying that also have such piths, and I'm kind of worried about them cracking etc... :dunno:

Cheers!

Thanks everyone.

Stu, this piece of wood came from a tree that blew over 2 years ago last December. This chunk has been sitting in the garage with the ends sealed but I turned it from start to finish in one go. Although it's not completely dry it turned like there wasn't much moisture in it, pretty dusty. What I thought was interesting about all the wood I got from this tree is that it had almost pure white sapwood when it was fresh and green. But as it sat and aged the color in the wood darkened and started to look more like the heartwood.