Keeping the curlies in control.........

Stuart Ablett

......or at least trying to keep them in control.... :rolleyes:

Like a fair number of turners, I have my lathe against a wall, this makes cleaning out behind the lathe time consuming and just not fun.

When I had the lathe in the old location, I made a back board, that was sloped from the wall to under the lathe, so cleaning up was a lot easier.

I've done the similar thing now, but with a few improvements.....

backer_board_1.JPG
I've also made it in two pieces, there is one piece that is attached to the lathe, and the other piece is attached to the wall, this way, if I have to move the lathe, I can easily, I can also easily remove the piece that is attached to the wall, if I need to get at the storage under the backer board.

backer_board_2.JPG
Another view.

backer_board_3.JPG
I put an end board on as well, hoping to keep more of the curlies in control

backer_board_4.JPG
Took it for a test run, works great! :D:thumb:

backer_board_5.JPG
Then to clean up, I just sweep the curlies down into the waiting garbage bag.

backer_board_6.JPG
easy as that. it will not stop the curlies from reaching the floor in front of the lathe, that is still going to happen, but this set up will sure make cleaning up a lot easier!

Just thought I'd share.

Cheers!

Stu,

Looks like that is working well. I was looking at doing the same but having an opening in the middle of my bench that the backer board sloped down to, then putting a collection box underneath. That way I could sweep off the bench into the opening, or eventually hook the DC to it.

Darren, hooking up your DC to the curly collection box would just make a lot of work emptying the DC, IMHO, for sanding, sure, but for roughing out, now way, a shovel and a broom work just fine :D :wave:

Cheers!