Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring has sprung

Spring has sprung

I do believe the nagging, unusual, cold weather we have been having is behind us. But, in it's place we are having some real springtime rainstorms. Last night and right now, we are having strong thunder bumpers and heavy rain. The little creek down the hill sounds like a locomotive. My shop has water on the floor. (I never sealed around a small pipe coming through the wall) Picking up wifey tonight. Right now, she is on bus coming back from "up nawth" visiting friends and relatives. Not good weather, but better than snow anytime.

Some pretty impressive rain today. Still coming down hard. I have seen flooding in places that never were effected in the past. That locomotive little creek is now a class ten white water raging torrent. Pretty incredible. Still preferable to snow.

Frank,

we have some early cherries in bloom here, oddly, some pears, some star magnolias, and the croci and forsythia just coming out. Any gardener would say both the sequence and the timing are insane, but I'm not gonna start a fiasco by mentioning the GW word...

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Frank,

we have some early cherries in bloom here, oddly, some pears, some star magnolias, and the croci and forsythia just coming out. Any gardener would say both the sequence and the timing are insane, but I'm not gonna start a fiasco by mentioning the GW word...

Thanks,

Bill
    No cherry trees in bloom here yet, but I'm a couple hours north of you. I remember when we lived in Southern Md, in our yard everything would be a few weeks ahead of family and friends yards up in PA. Amazing what only a few degrees of latitude north and just 3 hours drive east up the Atlantic coast will do. Speaking of which... we dodged several bullets this year and for the first time in many years didn't have even one major killer snowstorm. Lots of the country got socked with snow this winter but in SE PA we somehow escaped. One medium snowstorm rolled through and closed some of the schools one day, but was all cleared quickly. I am glad. We still could have a big snow next week or so, but rare, and if it does happen it will all be melted in a day or so. Those of you north of me still could get socked I guess?
    Build it Break it Fix it ...repeat

About the only thing blooming here is the little dog poop piles that show up when the snow first melts. But hey, I'll take it as a sign of spring!

At least you don't have to shovel rain. We got 4" of the white stuff last night. With the moisture content it was like shoveling mud. Hit 40 degrees this afternoon and all the new stuff is gone. Sure wish this bug would leave. Keep your powder dry.

A couple of weekends ago I picked the last of the oranges off the tree in the back yard. There are already little 1" green baby oranges on the tree. The lemon tree is overloaded (but it bears fruit year-round), and we have a lot of new fruit coming onto the loquat tree. The roses were still blooming in January when they got their yearly heavy pruning. I always think whacking a 5' to 8' tall bush back down to 4 or 5 spindly canes about 18" to 24" tall will surely kill it, but as they do every year, they are having a great time, with all the canes covered in leaves already.

I did have ice on my windshield Sunday morning, but that was definitely not typical for any time of year here.

Stay dry, Frank. Sounds like you're getting a real frog-choker.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

It's still raining and more to come. A high pressure front is keeping the warm, moist air from moving east and it is coming right up from the Gulf. We have lots of flooding, folks having to be rescued, roads closed, etc. Not a time to go fishing on the river. Some will try though and some might die for their efforts. Still glad it isn't snow. Our flowers are trying to come up also. First sun and they will pop.

Our trees are starting to bud. Our bulb flowers are sprouting and in some case flowering. Living down in the Snake River Canyon, our temps are more moderate than the surrounding mountains and prairies....we've been in the 50's and even over 60 for a couple of weeks now. I saw my first robin of the season the other day.
    Ken
    ------

Right now it's... well I'm not sure what it is. Looks like rain, snow and ice mixed all together, makes one lousy day

No buds here yet, the snow isn't even all melted, maybe in a few more weeks...

Can't wait for spring, and moving my tools back out in the shop.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong, so keep your hands away and watch out!