Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Demystified....the video....

Sharpening Demystified....the video....

I mentioned a while back >> here << that I read an article in the American Association of Woodturners Magazine about setting up your jigs to sharpen bowl gouges, well I made up a video showing how this set up works..........

Sharpening Demystified <<

Just over six minutes long, not much there really, but I really do recommend this system, as I can get consistently the same grind every time on every gouge, easily.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

That sure looks like a good system. Thanks for posting the video.

Excellent video, especially in 4:3....

Hey Stuart thanks for making this! Pretty informative. Do you have a link or know where I could go to order that magazine? I can sharpen the normal gouge grind by hand, but not the fingernail grind. For me to go and buy the standard gouge jig, and then the fingernail jig on top of that would come out to about $130! No thank you!, I think I could weld up some things and make my own, and you are getting me started in the right direction. Thanks!

Westley, here it the link to the >> Products Page << at AAW

Scroll down a bit, it is "2006: American Woodturner, Vol. 21, No. 4 Winter" $7.50.

While you are there, pick up the DVD >> "The Fundamental of Sharpening with Four Woodturning Experts" <<

Also well worth the money!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Sharpening jigs

Hey Westley,

You can easily make most of what you need to sharpen gouges. If you are good at working metal you can go that way or use wood. I made a sliding arm for my grinder that works fine. You might find plans/ideas at various woodturning sites like www.woodturningonline.com in the articles section. Another is www.aroundthewoods.com . Lots of turners make their own stuff, it's part of the fun. Stu is notorious for making all kinds of cool things.
    Don Orr

Woodturners make the World go ROUND

Stu,

That was a great video. I have been lazy about making setup jigs for my gouges. Your vid however shows me it is by far better to make the jigs and then sharpening is a simple three step proccess. I think I have that issue as well.

Thanks Fellas.

Alex, yeah, this system really does work well, and takes the guess work out of sharpening. I do want to get good at freehand sharpening, but it takes time to do so, I also want to get better at turning, so I have to do both!

One thing about hand sharpening is that you can easily stray from where you want to be, (until you get good at it) with this system, you can put a gouge back to where it should be, fairly easily.

Westley, >> HERE << is a page on my site showing a jig and such I made a while back, this is a bit old info, as I've since upgraded both of them, but you get the idea.

Cheers
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    I do want to get good at freehand sharpening, but it takes time to do so,
    Stu,

I doubt it will ever happen. The more you use your set up, the better you are and the more efficient you are. If the grind works for you, you have no reason to screw up the valuable steel.
    Gordon

I disagree Gordon, why? Well, when you see Eli Avisera or Jean-Francois Escoulen step up to the grinder and then step back, 20 seconds later, with a perfect grind on the gouge, as good as any jig can do it, well, that is something to shoot for. Dunno if it will happen anytime soon, but it is a goal worth working towards.

I have a 1/2" bowl gouge that is really too short to use, but I am going to remove it from the handle, so I can practice with it just the short piece of the tool left, otherwise, I'll get a half inch bolt, and use that to practice on

The beauty of hand sharpening for the pro is that it is dead quick, and they can sharpen on anyone's grinder anywhere, they don't need a jig. Yes, I know, I'm not a pro, nor will I be traveling to do any sharpening, but still, it is a skill that I will want to master at some point.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward