Cheap base cabinet ideas?

Jeff Horton

Cleaning up around some old buildings on my property I have discovered and old metal sink in good shape. I currently have a cheap plastic laundry sink in my shop that I hate. This sink has the long shallow side for a dish drainer I assume. But it's perfect for putting my wet grinder on. So I want to swap out my current sink for this one.

So I need to build a cheap cabinet. Cabinet grade plywood is pricey, so i just looking for a good idea. It might be that buying one at the Borg is the cheapest way to go?

After I posted this it occurred to me that I don't need doors. Maybe just a simple frame with some open shelves. Adds more storage and easy to get too.

Last edited:
It might be that buying one at the Borg is the cheapest way to go?
When I put cabinets in my shop I thought about building them, but I could actually buy the knock-downs from HD for much less than the cost of building. A 36" sink base was about $64 at the time. Not real pretty, but they went together fast and are easy to clean (melamine). Left me more time for projects too. :thumb:

My church just priced regular base units (door/drawer combo) at ~$30 per lineal foot. Can't buy the materials any cheaper. Checked HD and Lowe's.

FWIW

Jeff,

I got these cabinets, including one for a sink that you can't see, on Freecycle. They were from a bathroom re-model and were free. You might also check the free section on craigslist....

Cabinet grade plywood is pricey, so i just looking for a good idea. It might be that buying one at the Borg is the cheapest way to go?

First, do like Greg said and check Freecycle.

Next... who said it has to be from cabinet grade ply? Just buy some 5/8 sanded-one-side fir or spruce ply. It'll work also.

Otherwise, you're a building inspector by day... don't you pass by any interesting dumpsters on your day job? :rolleyes:

Norman,

It's a "Yahoo Group", and one in your area is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/omfreecycle/ You just have to join Yahoo, join the group and you can browse, or set up to get emails. I've gotten tons of good stuff from Freecycle.

Double pane windows, with screens, from a re-model. These will be part of the walls and roof of my greenhouse. Free! :thumb:

View attachment 18748

View attachment 18747

Jeff,

Here is a Freecycle for Metro Atlanta. Don't know if this helps, but you can search "freecycle, (city) in Yahoo and find one close, I'm pretty sure.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freecycle-ATL/

Last edited:
Another source for used/recycled building material may be your local Habitat for Humanity. Here in Columbus they have a Build it Again center which resales donated material. Or, at least locally, you can get a sheet of 3/4 inch imported plywood for $27 at the HD. That should build a sink base.

Great ideas.

I belong to two Freecycle groups. I haven't checked it in a while though. I stopped the emails because it became more people begging for things than giving them away. But I have offered a few things and received a few things.

I keep for getting about Habitat. There is one in Huntsville I need to check with. There is something else I want to look for there anyway.

Jeff,

The real problem here is that you don't work the way I do! ;)

What you need to do is make more mistakes when you're building something. Then you can use the mistakes in your shop. My first try at an island was a dismal failure, rejected out of hand by Doorlink. Now it's a marble topped shop cabinet. Oh, and my first try at a double oven cabinet? Now it's an air compressor cabinet in the shop. ;)

It's a worthwhile technique, tried and true! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Just a thought.

I picked up some great base cabinets at the local "Habitat for Humanity" discount store. Don't know if you have one in your area, but though ours may be small they're great.