$599 for this???

The plane's a bit pricey, but the "vintage" caulk gun from the same seller looks like a steal. Not. :p

I also like how the plane has no reserve, but the starting bid is $599.99.

Looks like this guy could use a nice, steaming hot cup of reality. :rolleyes:

The Seller does not deal with handtools (or any tools) :( - with the exception of one or two in the past. He has no idea of the value, probably just basing it on the fact that it is old and in a box. :eek: Have a look through his past sales to see this.

Regards from Perth

Derek (who was hoping to bid on this before it was noticed by all .. now, sadly, the buying frenzy will likely drive up the price ....:D)

Bart, I have rarely communicated with an eBay seller when there is a big error in their item - for example, listing a LA block plane, but showing a rabbet plane. I have never told someone their item is way over-priced.
And Derek - welcome to FW!
Ken

You guys are looking at this all wrong. I was hoping beyond hope that he got the "Buy Now bid" as I have one identical to it and was going to post it on Fleabay ASAP!!

If he does not know what something is worth, he should not list it in my opinion. He should do a little research first as he is giving Fleabay a bad name really.

Frank, I say this in 100% respect, but I am not sure this really applies. I don't think you will find a hand plane of this make and model that even comes close to being what he wanted for a price. If there was one out there, then maybe he could justify a well kept plane as justified, but he can't.

I don't consider what he posted as "free enterprise" at all then, I consider it just plain laziness. That was what I mean by dragging down Fleabay and borders on the "negotiating a worthless instrument" law.

The only empathy I feel for him, is if he was swindled by someone else and is trying to recoup the money. That is, he paid 250 bucks for it by a slick seller and is hoping to make a buck on it. I never really bought into the whole "buyer beware" thing when I am selling anything. I firmly believe you should ask a fair price and be ready to justify it should anyone ask. Of course, I am not a rich man either, so what do I know about wheeling and dealing :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Travis, if the guy wants to list it for an unrealistic price, that's his choice and right. I don't think it's laziness as much as stupidity, myself.

Why should he not list it with whatever price he wants? It doesn't harm the rest of us...even gave us some entertainment. I don't see why a person should not offer something to sell for which they don't know a reasonable price.

I was hoping beyond hope that he got the "Buy Now bid" as I have one identical to it and was going to post it on Fleabay ASAP!!

Travis,

Hey, could you please post a pic of the front of yours showing any marks on the blade or lever cap? I saw a Craftsman plane that looks something like it at an antique store north of me. I'll take a copy of your pic and compare...and might pick it up, or try to negotiate with the shop owner.

Thanks!

No problem Greg, but you have to wait until this week sometime. Its down to work. I use it to plane the plastic on some of the plastic holding tanks I make for the yachts.

Frank,
I never really bought into the whole "buyer beware" thing when I am selling anything. I firmly believe you should ask a fair price and be ready to justify it should anyone ask. Of course, I am not a rich man either, so what do I know about wheeling and dealing :dunno::dunno::dunno:

But I'm like you Frank when purchasing body work its worth every penny you spent to get out of pain!!!!!!!:eek::):D:thumb::rofl:

I get all my bone crunching for free. But I do give him a tool that I see he could use once in a while from my vast collection.:D

Wheeeee My life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving there in 10,000 painful pieces but sometimes it feels that way.:D:rofl:

Last edited:
I think he has a friend who told him it's a #1. Which a #1 Bailey/Stanley could fetch that kind of price, in as good as condition as the Craftsman in.
Just doesn't know ther's a difference.

Just AWAG....:huh:

Jimmy