Back Spasms: A good thing!!

Now how can back spasms be a good thing?

Well yesterday went like this. I had an outpatient type surgery lined up for yesterday afternoon at 4 pm. I made an appointment for it several weeks ago, and while it was not life threatening, I really wanted to make sure I went through with the surgery. The problem was, yesterday my back really began to act up. I have back problems anyway,and yesterday was the most pain I have been in for years.

So I call up the bone cruncher and she says she can get me in at 3:15. Now that would give me just enough time to get "adjusted" as she calls it, then head up to the hospital for my surgery at 4 pm. No big deal...there is just enough time to do both.

Well it seems my back was worse then I thought. My shoulder (remember my shoulder injury from that snowmobile accident,well its still pretty bad and pulling my lower back out of alignment. I am having back spasms because of it. So after spending 2 hours at the Bone Crusher getting shocked, manipulated, manual massage therapy and ultra sound, its well past my surgery alloted time.

So how is this all good?

Well my surgery was to make sure that Alyson would be an only child...if you know what I mean. I love children, but after having one, I was a bit leery to try my luck a second time. I mean the chances of having a healthy child, that is as cute, well behaved and whom sleeps all through the night, is pretty slim. I was pretty sure I wanted the surgery, but Patty was not so sure. But I am not one to believe in coincidences. I think everything happens for a reason. I have enough respect for COC rules to go any further, but I think many of you that head to certain buildings on Sunday's know what I mean by that.

Kind of scary to think someday I maybe a Dad to another child, but I guess Alyson is destined to have a brother or sister! (I hope a boy. I would like to my Dad to have a Grandson, and because I have the tractor cutouts in the spare room baseboard already :) :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Its just kind of funny how certain questions in life are answered for you if you are just smart enough to see that things happen for a reason.

Tractor.JPG

Last edited:
devine interpretation????

dont kno what that means but i do know i have seen very many single children and majority of them are spoiled beyound good sense.. there is a reason for competition in the world of nature, it makes the specie better in its own realm of things.. trav i tried twice and lost both times, got a pair of girls but i will tell ya that those girls in there day would make alot boys stand up and take notice in the work department, they wernt the prissy kind of kids... and i am very proud of them both.. so dont be to worried if your no. 2 isnt the right brand, just enjoy the brand yu get!

Travis, like Larry, I tried twice, but just didn't get away from the pattern, and I sure wouldn't trade either of my girls, 'course my Grandad sure wanted me to have some boys, Since of all his grandkids, I was the ONLY boy from his Sons, to carry on the name, (but plenty of boys from his daughters):D.

I will say this though, "PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE", don't make Alyson be an only child. I was an only Living child, (had a sister and a brother that died within a few days after birth), and my wife is an ONLY child, and we were both determined that we would not do that to a child of our own. We have no brothers or sisters, no brother-in-laws or sister-in-laws, and the kids have no aunts or uncles and no first cousins, but most of all, we had no siblings to grow up with or to enjoy as adults like most familys do. It was fun to watch the girls grow up, as they played AND fought with each other like most boys do, but God help anyone else that picked on one of them, because they had BOTH to tangle with.:D

I guess I don't really care what flavor the next one comes in. I figure if its a boy, I won't have to change the baseboard molding, and I can give my Dad the Grandson he always wanted. But then if its a girl, it would be real cheap to raise. We already got a closet full of pink clothes for her to wear!! :)

That is my only reason for not wanting any more...the cost of children. Its all I can do now to feed my hungry gas burning car, let alone another baby. As it was, Alyson...a special, emergency delivered baby was $32,517.58...and its only cost me more and more with each day. I don't even want to try and calculate that return on investment. Its not looking real good at this point. :huh: :D Maybe I could slant the numbers and raise a few beef cows and have Alyson call them her brothers or something. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hey Travis I was hesitant at first to have a second child what with the world being the mess that it is but I don't regret a second of it as I have been blessed with two fantastic boys. Granted I am lucky to have two boys but it wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference to me between girls and boys so long as they had all their fingers and toes. It has been said that kids are a product of their environment and how they are raised and I am a firm beliver in that. My oldest (Tom 18) came home the other day with a certificate from school stating he has been put on the principle's list ( one step above the honor role) He has been a teachers aid to his grade 12 biology teacher and has been getting staight A's throughout school. he has excelled in everything that he does and that includes Hockey. He doesn't do drugs and doesn't smoke or drink, he does his own laundry and cooks some fantastic meals and helps keep the house clean. Works every weekend as he is saving for university. My youngest (James 16) is actually doing better in school than Tom did as the bar has been set pretty high. Tom keeps James on a true course and watches out for him all the time. When problems happen (and they do) They are comfortable to come to me and tell me what is going on and we solve the problems together. All their friends know that this is a second home to them and if need be I will come and help them out/pick them up as we are all just a big extended family. Both the kids are computer nuts and I hear them laughing and goofing around togetrher all the time. I just couldn't imagine not having the both of them in my life. Two is far better than one and keeping them close together is great for them. Yes I got snipped or fixed or what ever you want to call it years ago. I regret that Janet and I didn't have any kids together but she has taken on the role of being a great Mom to my boys.

Hey Travis, I would agree that maybe divine intervention was at hand. I certainly don't believe in self mutilation.:wave: I have 11 kids and they are each different and valuable beyond words. Since I have gotten old and somewhat broken down, they are a real blessing to have around. My sons are sure handy when it is time to cut and load and stack wood for the wood boiler. Or work on broken down vehicals, or just about anything else I don't feel like doing. They are also great companionship when hunting or fishing or mushroom picking, and all sorts of other things we engage in.
Certainly, we have the number of kids because of our religious convictions. I now see the wisdom of not worrying about how many to have. Things always work out, though it doesn't seem easy sometimes. I would recomend you not pull the plug too soon.:D

Hey Travis, I would agree that maybe divine intervention was at hand. I certainly don't believe in self mutilation.:wave: I have 11 kids and they are each different and valuable beyond words. Since I have gotten old and somewhat broken down, they are a real blessing to have around. My sons are sure handy when it is time to cut and load and stack wood for the wood boiler. Or work on broken down vehicals, or just about anything else I don't feel like doing. They are also great companionship when hunting or fishing or mushroom picking, and all sorts of other things we engage in.
Certainly, we have the number of kids because of our religious convictions. I now see the wisdom of not worrying about how many to have. Things always work out, though it doesn't seem easy sometimes. I would recomend you not pull the plug too soon.:D

Wow, and I thought my parents were ambitious with 9 kids (3 original, 6 adopted, and one extra crispy). Okay, so I made that last part up, but they did have 9 kids in all.:D

Good for you though. Good for you.

...Its just kind of funny how certain questions in life are answered for you if you are just smart enough to see that things happen for a reason...

I agree completely... and here is why. We planned to have only two children... after both healthy girls were born almost exactly 2 years apart, that was the plan... THE END... we were all going to live happily ever after :). Etched in concrete. Then one Friday night 17 years ago, when my girls were 4 and 6, I got a phone call from my Dad, the kind of call you hear about but never think you will get... there was a terrible car accident. My Mom had survived the accident but died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. Shock, disbelief that she can she be here one day and gone the next... what was the last thing I said to her? That changed our lives in that both my wife and I realized up close and personal how precious life truly is. So precious that it should not be wasted or taken for granted. This led us directly to talking about having a third child while we still could. We actually sat down one evening and made a pro and a con list... should we bring another life into this world or not? Fortunately the pro side of the list won (ok, looking back on it now, have to admit it was kinda stacked from the start :) )... and 3 weeks later our third girl was on her way to meeting her two older sisters. We named her after my Mom, since without the sudden tragedy of her loss, Melanie Jean would never have been born. We have NEVER regretted that decision 17 years ago as our youngest, so alive and different from the older two, has enriched all of our lives in ways we could not have known back then. Bottom line here is, as Travis said, many of us believe there are really no coincidences in life. One door may close, but there is a reason for it, and others open. Just ask Melanie Jean… she’ll give you an earful.

I took it as a sign from above when they started coming two at a time. Went and saw the Dr. That "fixed" the problem. Only side effect was it made me fat and lazy, kind of like our dog. My wife wanted the kids two years apart and I got it right to the day and she gets mad. Go figure. Three on June 3rd.

I hear you Dale. I was under a lot of pressure the first time myself. The wife is a teacher so we could not have a baby before we were married...oh that would have been scandalous. But seeing as how we got married in October, she had to have the baby in the summer months when she was out of school. This meant I had to get the job done.

I did pretty good I thought...a Honeymoon baby, but I did have some help. No not like that, with the weather. We had a huge gale on our Honeymoon. It poured and poured...

As Dave pointed out, life doesn't come with guarantees.
Just about the time our second son was graduating from high school my wife announced that she was pregnant. To say 'surprise' doesn't come close to describing my reaction. And that reaction was not good. It took me quite a while to accept our new daughter. What I had dreaded turned out to be a great blessing in our lives. One could look at all the downsides, I accepted them as challenges. Example, most folks have the empty nest experience in their mid-40s, I was 66 before that happened. In a nutshell, she kept us young.
But, that period of time was not all joy. Our youngest son (we had two) died in 1996 at age 27. No reason, perfectly healthy, just died. Sad and still very difficult to accept. But we had him for 27 years and treasure every second.
My conclusion? I guess there isn't one. Dave made some fine comments. You just must do what is best for you.
Life comes at you from all directions, the good and the sad.

Frank, I think you made a very good point. We poor humans tend to organize our lives around what we believe is what's best for us. I for one don't really know what's best for me or anyone else. I do know this; Life is infinintely valuable. I didn't choose a family size because I decided with my wife to leave that decision up to God. I figure HE is smarter than myself. I am amazed by how individual each of our children are.
We also had to go through the heartache of losing someone close. We lost 2 kids early in their life and I lost a brother who I was very close to. We cherish the memories of who they were and what they accomplished in life. It has made me a more compassonate person.

I'd like to brag a little; We home school our kids. We decided to allow them to play on local home school basketball teams these last 2 years. This year our grade school age boys took the state championship. Our 17 yr. old plays on the jr. varsity team but subbed frequently on the varsity team. The varsity team also won the state championship and ended up placeing 8th in the nationals.
Sometimes it's fun to be a dad!