Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: oil well explosion

Oliver Springs, TN

oil well explosion

Let me start this story by explaining where I live. I live in East Tennessee in a small town of about 3500. I live in the "burbs" outside of town on a dead end street. It's about two miles long and about 50 families live on the entire road.

For the past couple years with oil prices going crazy there has been a huge increase in drilling for oil all around this area. Easily within 1-mile radius of the house there are probably 40 oil wells. Just off the road I live on within 100-200 feet of the road are 5 wells.

Now here’s the story. Just up the road about 200 yards they have been putting in another well. It usually takes about 2 - 3 weeks to get one in. They hit what they called a large pressure pocket Tuesday around 1 pm and it began blowing gas and oil. The only way to describe the sound is that it sounded like a jet engine. They worked through out the day and night trying to get it capped and were having trouble. The well is only about 100 - 150 feet off the road. The blowing oil saturated a large area all around the well even running into the road. The smell of gas was strong all night. Tanker trucks came in and out all night long caring out the excess oil they were pumping from an over flow pit.

I was getting ready to go to work and had stepped out onto my porch to see if I needed a jacket and if it was raining. There is a small strip of trees between my house and the drilling site. I was looking in that direction when somewhere between 6:30 and 6:45am I thought the gates of hell had been opened. The entire place exploded! I felt a heat wave and the house shook. I have never been so terrified in my entire life. I don’t know how, but thank God no one was killed. A lot of property damage however. I think about 2 to 3 acres went up in about 15 seconds.

Here are a few pics of the day it happened. I grabbed the camera and snapped a few pics. They are a little blurry I wasn't really concerned with quality at that moment. The first one is about 15 min after it happened. The trees are about 45 - 50 feet tall and close to the center is a small rectangular area that's a transformer on a power pole. A crew from Texas in here now working to put it out. I've included some shots of them.
    Last edited by John Daugherty; 03-22-2008 at 02:09 AM.

Wow glad you are okay and your house is still there.

Still, how come nothing exciting like this happens near where I live? Just boring wind and snow. (Well maybe a few chainsaw cuts and snowmobile accidents )
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

wow!......glad you`re okay!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Just did a online search and found some video of the explosion. They are saying 25 homes are evacuated and that the fire destroyed 4 trucks and was sparked by a passing motorist.Here is the link to the video...though you have tosit through a Airport Honda Commercial first.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Albuquerque, New Mexico
    The old passing motorist scapegoat… I think the oil company has some explaining to do.
    John, I’m glad you are ok, that would have scared the hell out of me!
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    --Winston Churchill, in response

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Wow! Glad all is well with you.

The Heart of Dixie
    Where is John Wayne and his crew when you need them?
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Fort Washington, PA
    Something to talk about around the table years from now... glad nobody lost their life, and that your property was not damaged.
    Build it Break it Fix it ...repeat

Between Aledo and Fort Worth, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dunlap View Post
    Ahhh, that brings back memories. I got to meet Red Adair once when I was a wee child. He seemed pretty gruff and scary to a six year old kid.
    To pioneer the kind of work he did, I think your description of him would be required!
    Glad you are ok, John. That must have been a spetacular explosion. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Tokyo Japan
    John, I'm sure glad to hear that you and your family are all OK, trees, houses etc can be replaced.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward